just cant draw it all

Started by
7 comments, last by rouncED 14 years, 1 month ago
Ive got a 3d modeller/3d painter done and it works with complete unique mega texturing. now im sorta up to painting on a model, and im just working out theres no possible way ill ever be able to hand paint a whole environment for a game, its going to take me ages! Ive spent about an hour and a half on this door frame alone, and its way too messy yet, ill have to spend another 1 and a half hours neatening it up... Its moments like these that really get me down... I wonder if I hired a team of artists they could help me paint the level, but then ill need a real budget. The content creation problem really holds back a single guy from finishing a game. Any ideas how I could somehow speed up the texturing process?
Advertisement
Texture it as normal and write that to the mega texture. You can then go around later and add any unique details you might want to add.

Btw is that a sort of in game screen shot? it looks very weird, sorta like a concept scetch.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Its an ingame shot, I actually am still pleased with the results, the painter is ok its just im using it a little quickly.
I need a straight line brush too.

So.. you dont just go and hand paint the whole thing, cause that is impossible.

Looks like im not done writing tools then, so I write a texture plotter, and you use that instead of painting the whole thing, maybe ill write a texture sprayer too.
I'm no artist, which is why everything I make in Blender is pretty unadventurous. Can you not settle for a 3rd party texture pack for the time being?
Dave, thats actually excellent advice... maybe the point is doing texturing yourself no matter how your doing it is very time consuming. Maybe its actually a huge part of a 3d games workload I never even considered like a n00by.

cleaned it up a bit, here it is=
First of all, that looks really cool! :)

As to an actual suggestion. Well I'd texture it in a more traditional way first, bake the results of that into your mega texture. Then go through again to add the unique details, muck, etc that mega texturing allows. This is how studio's (Id) are probably doing it.

I'd really like to see what you've already done in motion though, the method you've chosen looks like it could allow for a much more hand-drawn look and I'm just a total sucker for that kind of thing!

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

:) thanks YEH it looks different hey! :) no displacement maps! watch out ego boost! hehe

The only problem is hand painting the whole thing could be a nifty idea its just thats impractical, theres no way a single guy could do it alone.

What megatexturing also allows which is extremely exciting is precalculated radiosity, that basicly means i leave the computer working all night long wake up in the morning and all the colours will bleed into each other making it look amazing hopefully.

So, ill read up on what id software has done with rage, and ill probably have to add 5-6 quick texturing tools to get you moving a little faster (at the moment it just seems like you get nowhere...) but i could always hand paint the special parts :) or go around with a foggy black brush painting ambient occlusion into it which tends to look pretty nice too.
take a look here (ID Tech5 editor):
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tech-5-id-software/23275
From what JC said, and everyone else (:)) he said they make the entire base of the mesh of the landscape in another program, then they import it converting it to a giant unique texture, then the special editor takes over.

So for the most part all I do is add texturing like as if I didnt have mega texturing, and that should speed up the process a little... then you worry about seams later.

Thanks everyone, I hope to get this project finished this year, we'll see what happens, well back to work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement