Sign in to follow this  

desperately need help about ideas

This topic is 2809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on my final project (the project I need to make for graduating), but I can't really find any good ideas for the game. It will be a multiplayer fps game, first I thought something like quake without any content just shoting each other but my teacher said "no violence". After a few discussion finally she will let a shooter but it will be something like a paint ball. I am thinking a capture the flag game, there will be two teams with different colors. weapons will be able to paint scene (like the game named "tag") with your team's color. you will be able to walk on any color but if you have the flag you must walk on your own color. or you will drop the flag. there will be only one flag, if you recieve and be able to keep it in your base for like 1-2 minutes you will get a point. enemy team will try to steal flag back. also like a regular fps you will be able to kill each other but of course no blood etc :D terrain will be pretty much like that, all with light colored textures which will be paintable. player models are shamelessly stolen from quake :D you can test it here if you want. altough fps is not great, I am working on shadows now. so does this sound good? any other ideas? I really need them right now, I had to give more details on tuesday to my teacher

If you're going to do an unoriginal clone of some game, clone a super original mind blowing one like Portal. Combine the portal gun with a gravity gun that changes the gravity direction (left wall becomes new floor / floor becomes ceiling / etc.) and add dumb obstacles (directioned miniguns, moving saws, easy to code awesome looking fire traps spewing gravity affected flamethrower jets, moving lasers ) / simple AI monsters and Cube stylish graphics that don't require real art skills and you have a nice non-violent puzzle game that is fun to play and can wow an audience for a five minutes demo.

Think about the gameplay potential specifically in paint. Paint covers things, especially players, walls, targets. Maybe you have to completely plaster an area in your opponents territory with paint. Think of clever paint-specific ways to handle player "death".

Sorry, I couldn't reply before. lots of midterms and other project :(

my teacher said it is ok If I don't create a great game. I did more than enough for passing with a good grade I guess :) I really want to develop this game, even if noone plays it but I don't have much time. Maybe after I graduate.

I found a great map for my game, it is a quake map. I am working on it and it looks great for my game.

It is still not playable and I noticed some collision problem with the new map. Also paint system is still far from perfect but it is still cool I guess, whole scene is pantable!

link

press f for flying and right mouse button for moving faster to tour map. mouse1 for painting

Got an idea when I watched your picture and thought about space time gravity bending
What if you have a heightmap and objects that cast a "gravity" where it digs into terrain and when yo shove enough objects it reaches a threshold where it make a hole(or a black plane for simplicity sake) where if you fall(or touch it in the case of plane) is game over

I really like your idea of using the guns to mark territory and define where you can go, that's awesome. I think this is the basis for a really neat game. I'd like to see less emphasis on shooting the other players and more on managing markings.

If I was going to hijack your project and introduce a bunch of features that probably aren't feasible in your time frame, here's what I'd do:

Multiple types of paint launcher. Give us a paint gun that's got a lot of ammo (infinite, maybe) and shoots balls that mark a spot that's a meter across on the surface they hit. Also include a grenade that has a very low rate of fire and limited ammo, but colors a much larger swath. Finally a sort of paint laser or hose that allows you to "draw" on the map in a contiguous line, with a short, recharging burst duration similar to a gun "overheating" and limited ammo.

Paint setting delay. Once a mark is placed, it doesn't take effect for a couple seconds, so you can't just point your gun and the ground and run forward, blazing a flag-friendly trail straight back to base. If two marks from different teams are placed on the same spot, they cancel out and that spot become impassable by anyone, with or without the flag, for a short time. That way, just shooting the living shit out of a bridge in some kind of tug-of-war will overload the bridge and lock everyone out, forcing them to try something different instead of just butting heads until someone slips through the hellstorm.

No death. When you get shot up, you're "marked" by the enemy team and are unable to fire your weapons or carry the flag until either a certain amount of time passes or one of your team mates shoots you back to the right color. You could even have a sort of HP, where you're "in play" above 50% and "out" below it. If you can manage it, having the models reflect where they were hit and calculating HP as a % of coverage would be cool. "Turn a little left, Jim, so I can blue up your other arm." This would lead to fun tactics like throwing your own grenade a few yards in front of you when you start taking fire, so you can be "healed" when it goes off as you run by.

I'm imagining this game have a huge volume of fire, with everyone shooting all around all the time, but only rarely actually shooting at one another.

theOcelat>

I can't paint characters yet. they are md3 files, I need to write a triangle pick function for it (ray-model intersection). Also there are some limitations, if a models two different vertices use same area of the texture (for example if face of player model is mirrored) it will paint both side of the model. it is easy to split other subsets into two subsets in 3ds max but md3 files will be harder.

Iron Chef Carnage>

I am planning to add a few different weapons. one will be rocket launcher, when it collides with terrain it will create a big sphere which will start shrinking and anything inside it will be painted.

my teacher said she is ok with death. but instead of it I am thinking something like that: when you shot a player they will slowly become more and more black starting from their foot (maybe not black, a darker version of their team color)

(ms paint art :))

for example player in the first image is like %10-20 damaged and second one is %50-60 damaged. when damage reaches is %100 player will be completely black (or dark red) and they must return to base for recharging. implementing this should be much easier then painting a character like the terrain.

I still have some doubts about game play. I think players shouldn't be able to paint terrain too fast. ammo should be limitted and slowly recharging. you have to kill enemies first and after that you can slowly paint your way to base for taking the flag with you. it would be broken if you just can take the flag with you and paint your path to base without some limits.

it will be easier for enemy to take flag back, because they will be able to paint the way while approaching. if they don't do that even if they take the flag it will be very hard for them to retrieve it back to base

This is a really awesome concept. If this were an indie title released, I'd totally buy it assuming I played a demo of some sorts that showed it worked well. I think you could really go far with this if you decide to take it "beyond the classroom". And better yet it'll look much much better to other employers too.

Your ideas for a health system are awesome too.

I don't think having it so the weapons just recharge on their own will be very fun. This was done to a similar effect in Mass Effect 1 and the combat/shooting was a major weak point for the game. When they introduced a limited ammo clip system in ME2, while SUPER BASIC, it made the combat much for fluid and interesting.

I think it could be cool if there was a team-pool of "paint" perhaps that would be slowly drained every time someone fires maybe? Like a "clip" of ammo that the entire team shares

Or have strategically placed "ammo" pickups that if shot at would instead have the "paint barrel" effect someone previously mentioned. So you can make active choices as a player to either pick up the ammo to shoot, or deny a large area to the other team by blowing up an "ammo barrel" (or something) instead.

I think I'd rather have my firing constrained by strategic reasons than by lack of ammo. Ammo supply should be a concern, but only a distant one until you go really, really crazy. I like a lot of Iron Chef Carnage's ideas.

Anyway, this is starting to sound like a lot of fun. Good luck to you!

I vote for a college programming course simulation game program. Very meta. In the game you take the class, in rendered sim 3D, while controlling the pencil with the mouse, or something similar.

This topic is 2809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.