while (poll_for_events())
    {
        // handle input events

// handle GUI events
    }

update_world();

render_world();
}
In Java, the equivalent for handling the input and GUI events would be creating the appropriate type of Listener and add()ing it to the appropriate Component, like MouseMotionListener, ActionListener, and so on. The only problem is that there is no equivalent for poll_for_events() - all the events are executed in separate Java threads, and that really screws things up. How do I fix it?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by nullsquared
The only problem is that there is no equivalent for poll_for_events() - all the events are executed in separate Java threads, and that really screws things up. How do I fix it?

Gui events occur in the AWT-event thread, not individual threads. Assuming you're running a game loop in your main thread, I find the easiest is to put the incomming events into a queue and flush the queue in your main loop. Not rocket science really. :P
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
The only problem is that there is no equivalent for poll_for_events() - all the events are executed in separate Java threads, and that really screws things up. How do I fix it?

Gui events occur in the AWT-event thread, not individual threads. Assuming you're running a game loop in your main thread, I find the easiest is to put the incomming events into a queue and flush the queue in your main loop. Not rocket science really. :P

What about input events? And it's a little difficult to put the events in a queue considering they're implemented as ActionListeners, etc. For example:
JMenuItem exit = new JMenuItem("Exit");menu.add(exit);exit.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {    public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt)    {        running = false;    }});

I want that to be executed in the main thread.
What about input events?
Input events are also generated on the AWT thread.
Quote:And it's a little difficult to put the events in a queue considering they're implemented as ActionListeners, etc.
I assume he meant that you should write an ActionListener which pushes events onto the queue.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Input events are also generated on the AWT thread.

Oh alright. Still, I don't want this thread.

Quote:I assume he meant that you should write an ActionListener which pushes events onto the queue.

That completely kills the idea of using anonymous classes as delegates.

Is there really no way to circumvent this? No manual pump_messages() I can call and a way to disable the AWT thread? How do people normally handle this issue?
I assume he meant that you should write an ActionListener which pushes events onto the queue.
That completely kills the idea of using anonymous classes as delegates.
Ja, I would stick with implementing a named class for this.
Quote:Is there really no way to circumvent this? No manual pump_messages() I can call and a way to disable the AWT thread?
Nope, nill and nada.
Quote:How do people normally handle this issue?
They live with it, or they switch back to C++. AWT very sensibly detaches UI update from the rest of the application, but it requires a bit of a paradigm shift on the part of the programmer.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

They live with it, or they switch back to C++.

I can't, I'm writing a replacement for the abomination that is GridWorld, and doing it in C++ (or better, C#) would be cheating.
Hm, I suppose another solution would be to execute all of my own code inside the AWT thread... Time to figure out how to do that.
Hm, I suppose another solution would be to execute all of my own code inside the AWT thread... Time to figure out how to do that.

Like this:

Timer mainLoop = new Timer(33, new ActionListener() {	public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt) {		updateWorld();		repaint();	}});mainLoop.start();

Quote:Is there really no way to circumvent this? No manual pump_messages() I can call and a way to disable the AWT thread?

There's no point. If you disable the event dispatch thread, you'll end up reinventing everything it already does.
Quote:Original post by Dathgale

Like this:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out!

Since I want to run my game loop as fast as possible, would passing 0 as the 'delay' parameter Just Work?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement