Static lighting and shadow

Started by
1 comment, last by LegACy99 14 years, 1 month ago
Well, I've been thinking on increasing my game engine's performance, so I decided to do static lighting and shadowing instead of dynamically calculating them in the GPU via shaders. Problem is, I find it kinda to difficult to search for a proper article on this topic. What I'm asking is kinda basic, how to "export" a calculated lighting and shadow map and how to "import" them back? I've seen some article talks about using another texture for light map, but what if I have an room with lighting, would I need to have a unique map for every object in the room? The same goes on with shadow mapping, currently I'm using depth testing to get a shadow map dynamically (render all of them first with "createshadowmap" technique, then render it again using the proper technique and add the shadow map value). Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
What you want is generally known as "light mapping" (google will give you lotsa hits on that.) This article
Light Mapping - Theory and Implementation
from good ol' flipcode should get you up and running on the technique and vocabulary.
wow, that was... complete, and complex too. I haven't look at the demo, but how come he can map the light map to the mesh/scene? So far I'm only seeing how he generate that light map.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement