Sign in to follow this  

Getting Back into C++

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Morning/afternoon/evening I have been programming games now for about 2 years in C# with XNA and I'm looking to get back into C++. I used to program in C++ with Direct X 9.0 and I have a book "Programming role-playing Games with DirectX" in C++ however this is out of date I think. I Really want to get back into programming in C++ and im following another book on the basics at the moment. My Ultimate aims for games are to make either a RTS type game or a Roleplaying game in 3D. What I want to know is: Q/ What's the best tool for creating games like this? I Have heard of Ogre3D, Allegro, OpenGL being used for creating windows with a linked graphics device but I'm not to sure about them. any help is appreciated :)

Ogre is an excellent object-oriented engine. It does not use cosmic hierachies for the scene graph and it makes good use of design patterns. You will learn alot about C++ and OO by using it. Reading books by Herb Sutter is also a great way to learn good C++ progamming.

Ok, I now remember I tried Ogre and gave up. three days and I couldn't even get it to compile.

There are 66 linker errors and I have made sure I am linking every thing I need to, been on 6 tutorials on the net and followed the instructions and it WONT work :(

I have downloaded a SDK. Sorry if I get jargon wrong :)

I downloaded the SDK for VS2008 (or somthing)

installed it, and followed some tutorials for getting an example application running.

now, when I run the one off the Wiki I get 66 Linker errors. (I think from missing dlls)

hah~
C# do not need to link library by configuring the project, but C++ do.

I'm not using Visual Studio English version right now. So some terms might be wrong, but I think you can understand my poor English. :)
You should configure your project attributes. Find "Linker" -> "General" -> "Additional Library Directory". Input the path where you setup your Ogre SDK.

For example : D:/OgreSDK/lib/

and find "Linker" -> "Input" -> "Additional Dependency"
Input "OgreMain_d.lib OIS_d.lib CEGUIBase_d.lib OgreGUIRenderer_d.lib".
These are the .lib files for the C++ compiler to find symbol information, so you should link them to your exe file.

And you should put your exe file to the directory where contains the dlls( and resource files for Ogre) the exe needs.

You can also config your project attribute at "Debug" page.
"Debug" -> "Work Directory" : D:/OgreSDK/bin/debug
for example.

So, you can simply press F5 to compile and run the Ogre sample apps.

Ok thank you for the detailed response :)

I have the following error when NO CODE is there, (there is only Main.cpp which is a blank file)

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OgreMain_d.lib'
(Edit) the file is in ../../OgreSDK/lib .. however this is linked so why wont it find it?

I have added this to the Additional Include Directories:
C:\OgreSDK\lib;
C:\OgreSDK\include;

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.