D3D11 supporting hardware?

Started by
4 comments, last by Pyrogame 14 years, 1 month ago
I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 card that was supposed to support d3d11 and am trying to run d3d11 (feb 2010 sdk) on it, but it seems to revert to direct3d as a 10.1 feature set only (in the samples as well, not only my code). I was truly disappointed at first since the only reason I bought the card was to develop d3d11-stuff with a non-reference driver. But then I started to search around the web and everywhere it says the 5870 should support dx11. But why doesn't it? Is it the driver that is not fully functional yet? I just installed the latest catalyst 10.2 (including drivers).
Advertisement
I have a 5870 too, and I can develop and run dx11 on it very well. The driver (catalyst 10.x) supports dx11 too.

There is maybe something wrong with your framework. Have you tried explicitly to set feature level 11? Or to use shader version 5?

Does the DX11 haeven benchmark run with dx11?
Quote:
There is maybe something wrong with your framework. Have you tried explicitly to set feature level 11? Or to use shader version 5?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. For instance when I try to run the DetailTesselation11 sample from the dxsdk (which uses domain/hull shaders and thus SM5), I can only run it using a reference driver. Is there something I need to do using some config application?

Just so I don't misunderstand, when you say it works fine for you, are you meaning that you can run d3d11 at all (because I can too but not with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0) or can you actually run features like domain/hull shaders in hardware?

Quote:
Does the DX11 haeven benchmark run with dx11?

Just tried it, it didn't really complain about anything, does it really require FULL dx11 support or will it silently run on any machine with just visual differences? (The dragon looks nothing like on the screen shots)
The HD5870 is capable of the full D3D11 feature set. You don't have to do any special config to enable the new features.

Try to reinstall your graphics driver.

Also, if your motherboard has an integrated GPU, try to disable it.

The Unigine Heaven benchmark will run on older hardware too, but it doesn't use tessellation if it can't access the D3D11 feature level.

Niko Suni

Do you have Vista with Platform Update installed, or Windows 7 ?

All HD5x ATI cards supports Direct3D11 in hardware just fine.
Yes, I can run it all with the full d3d11 features, inclusive domain/hull shaders in hardware. I have successfully implement tesselation with displacement mapping and it runs very well.

In the haeven benchmark, the stones on the street or the walls should have a volume, shouldn't be like just a texture. I hope, you know what I mean ^^. All you have to do, is to run the benchmark with dx11 (you can choose this in the settings menu).

With "framework" I mean SlimDX, XNA, MDX, etc. if you use one. If you implement directly in c/c++, then just forget what I said ^^.

There is a bug, if you create the dx device without specifying the feature level, then it will be creted with 10_1. This was on my system the problem. But I think, that it has comething to do with SlimDX, because I'm using this wrapper framework.

I can also run DetailTesselation11 in hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement