Sign in to follow this  

SDL Fade Out Question

This topic is 2843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to create a function in SDL that will fade the screen out to any color desired. So far I have:
void fade_out(int r, int g, int b) {
  for(int y = 0; y <= SCREEN_HEIGHT; y++) {
    for(int x = 0; x <= SCREEN_WIDTH; x++) {
      SDL_Rect fill_area;
      fill_area.x = x;
      fill_area.y = y;
      fill_area.w = 1;
      fill_area.h = 1;
SDL_FillRect(SDL_GetVideoSurface(), &fill_area, SDL_MapRGB(SDL_GetVideoSurface()->format, r, g, b));
      SDL_Delay(10);
    }
  }
}
This works just fine without the SDL_Delay(10);, but the problem is that it does it too fast for me to even notice that is is fading, it just fills in the screen with a color instantly. When I add in the SDL_Delay(10);, it doesn't do anything, just sits there with a black screen. Any ideas? EDIT: Nevermind, I solved the problem myself. For those who are having similar problems, it was that I did not flip the screen. The solution was much more complicated and had to use a boolean to check and see if the game was currently fading. If it was, it continued to fade in the next iteration. fade_out() would create a SDL_Rect that started at (0,0) and had a height of SCREEN_HEIGHT and a width of a passed in x value plus a passed in fade speed. If it went outside the boundaries of the screen, it returned false to signal that fading is done. [Edited by - kevin_06s on February 28, 2010 5:00:14 PM]

This topic is 2843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.