Coming Up With Names

Started by
18 comments, last by Misled Legend 14 years ago
How do you all come up with your names? I always have trouble coming up with names that don't sound cheesy, and sometimes I just resort to a random name generator. That said, I need some help coming up with a name for a huge imperialist empire. It is going to be like a Fire Emblem type game, and I'm trying to think of a name that at least sounds like a real name, but also has a fantasy element in it, just not too far fetched.
Advertisement
Mixing realistic and fantastic names is tough, unless you work with both a first name and surname. Here's a few quick ones off the top of my head.

• Fantasy

• Kanall

• Harnu

• Ugann

• Realistic

• Jack

• Kane

• Napoleon (Why not.)

• Compromised

• Lance

• Orlando

• Vincent

I think up names based on the mood I feel from their sound. Chuck sounds like a stronger man than Skip, and Mary sounds friendlier than Amber. Hard 'K' or 'T' sounds always contribute well to the names of intimidating characters. Our four letter friends are certainly harsh sounding. [smile]

I even wrote an article on names in games you may find interesting. Glad you asked about this, because names are important.

Hope this info helped.
Is the imperial empire good, neutral, or evil?
It's going to be evil.
zyrolasting:
I do the same thing, I just run off a list of random vowels and syllables, picking ones that sound right. I never really bothered to understand which mix of syllables fit what theme though, I will have to look into that.
Zqnrdn Mpr
Quote:Original post by Wai
Zqnrdn Mpr

I'm not much of a writer, but think I can confidently suggest the use of vowels.
I was just trying to see whether names with no vowel would appear more
unfriendly.

Is the empire evil to the outsider or to its own people?

Azkina Erdine

Context: This is a name for a sophisticated imperial empire with a rich
ancient history and culture. Many of its arts are secretive, deadly and
incomprehensible.

Azkina is an adjective that describes a calm lake that reflects the land.
In the creation myth, the land that this lake reflected was originally
above the lake. The people of the land above saw their reflection on the
lake, and decided to settle, creating the land that now exists.

Erdine is a type of rare crystal with endless layers and patterns within.
In the myth, these crystals contain wisdom and they grow when people
gain new wisdom from studying it. These crystals were described to be
as big as a fist. It was specified that only the decendents of the people
above may use them.

Meaning of Azkina Erdine:
The original reflection of the crystal
Quote:Original post by Wai
I was just trying to see whether names with no vowel would appear more
unfriendly.
To me that immediately brought to mind Welsh road signs. Celtic languages written in the latin alphabet seem to distinctly underutilise vowels [smile]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

My rough perceived order of alphabet unfriendliness:

q, v, x, z > f, h, j, k, l, m, n, p, r, s, t, w, y > b, c, d, g

e > i > u > o > a
Try using real names based on the setting: when writing about, say, medieval England, you can reference the Domesday Book (http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk). It's chock full o' 11th century tidbits.

When I write a science fiction story, I use names that are only one step removed from real-world names (Zenna instead of Jenna; Clide instead of Clyde). That way, they're easy to remember and pronounce.

I always make sure the names sound as if they belong in the same culture, too. Allyn and Seria could be brother and sister of an advanced civilization. Zooog, on the other hand, can only be a caveman out on a mammoth hunt.

Here's a good article on the topic:

http://www.writing-world.com/romance/names.shtml

- Theobroma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement