• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

atmospheric scattering coefficients

This topic is 2918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, first of all, I know that there are plenty of threads about atmospheric scattering, but I could not find any information on how the wavelength-depending scattering coefficients are created! I implemented the ATI paper "Rendering Outdoor Light Scattering in Real-Time", where the original terrain color is multiplied with an extinction factor and an inscattering factor. L_o = L_in * Extinction( Distance ) * InScattering( Distance, AngleToSun ) that's pretty simple! In the function "InScattering()", rayleigh and mie functions have to be computed, both depending on the scalar value "AngleToSun". This is simple, too. my problem is, that I have only grayscale images so far! I know that the atmosphere scatters blue particles more than other wavelengths, but where to I take these numbers? In the Preetham paper is a table for 5 different wavelengths, but this didn't work out properly :-/ I would need something like float3 RayleighCoeff( float Theta ) { return ... } since the scattering parameters depend on the angle to the light source. thanks, nicolas

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement