Sign in to follow this  

[RPG] Hero of Allacrost releases beta demo

This topic is 2835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Our team has just made available a beta release of our final demo. We've made four official releases in past years and this is our first non-official release that we are making public. You can find the download link on the main page of our website. Available for Windows, OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, and other POSIX-compatible systems http://www.allacrost.org/ This release is a development snapshot and has several issues present in it, so don't be surprised that it has its flaws. But it gives a good idea of where we are and where we are going with this final demo. To entice you to download it and give it a shot, here's some older screen shots and videos. Screenshots Videos Gameplay of previous release Allacrost Game Editor in action Feedback is appreciated. Thanks, and enjoy!

It looks great! Keep going for that release!

(which means that I won't test a beta... I'm sorry, I don't even have time to tackle my stack of AAA games. But I'm looking forward to a polished version to play :-) )

Thanks Schrompf. I totally understand about not trying out the beta release so don't worry about it. I'm the same way and don't have the time to try out every single release of the projects I'm interested in, let alone play the professional games I own.

I will say though that even though its an unpolished beta, I believe that this release is the best thing we've made available to date. It has the most content, the most features, and the most fun of any of our past releases.

Wow, good job! Excellent graphics and music! Just out of curiosity, who did your animations! They are great!

A few things:
1) I think it needs mouse support. I didn't really read the first help screen, and because of that I kept on hitting escape key to cancel a menu or or something, but it just exited the game. I kept hitting the esc key to cancel stuff, and that's not default key for cancel ('d' is).
2) Since I was just demoing the game, I didn't read too much into the story line (I just wanted to get a feel for the game), and I didn't know what to do and I ended up outside the town and the first battle against a snake and spider, I died :(
3) My default graphic settings were way too low. Everything was zoomed in (like 800x600 or something). Maybe there's a way to detect some optimal settings? I don't know.
4) That little slider in combat to see who goes first is pretty slick, but I think I noticed some unexpected speed ups of the enemies. Like my speed was fast but right before the marker the enemy's speed went super fast and passed me (and ended up going first in combat)

Keep it up! It's good stuff!

Quote:
Original post by grayaii
Wow, good job! Excellent graphics and music! Just out of curiosity, who did your animations! They are great!

Thanks. The animations were done by about three different artists on our team. Unfortunately they've all been busy with other things in life lately so we haven't seen any new ones in a while.

Quote:
Original post by grayaii
A few things:
1) I think it needs mouse support. I didn't really read the first help screen, and because of that I kept on hitting escape key to cancel a menu or or something, but it just exited the game. I kept hitting the esc key to cancel stuff, and that's not default key for cancel ('d' is).
2) Since I was just demoing the game, I didn't read too much into the story line (I just wanted to get a feel for the game), and I didn't know what to do and I ended up outside the town and the first battle against a snake and spider, I died :(
3) My default graphic settings were way too low. Everything was zoomed in (like 800x600 or something). Maybe there's a way to detect some optimal settings? I don't know.
4) That little slider in combat to see who goes first is pretty slick, but I think I noticed some unexpected speed ups of the enemies. Like my speed was fast but right before the marker the enemy's speed went super fast and passed me (and ended up going first in combat)

1) The game is intended to feel and play like an older console RPG. That means no mouse, though gamepad and joysticks are supported and work wonderfully. All of our existing code and interfaces were designed with this in mind and adding mouse support is not a trivial task with respect to both the code and the game design. Believe me the idea has been floated around and discussed before but the majority of us have no interest in investing the significant amount of time and effort to change such a major facet about the game's design.

As for not reading the first help screen explaining the controls, well that's not our fault [smile]. The initial explanation of the controls can use some improvement and its something we'll get around to eventually, but I think what we have in place already is plenty sufficient.

2) Yeah, we're still working on the design and flow of the game. Its pretty open ended right now and you're not restricted in where you can go.

3) The zoom is intentional. 1024x768 is the game's default resolution. Our zoom used to be about 4x out what it is now, but some people really really hated how small the characters and everything were so starting with this release, we tried a closer zoom. We're still experimenting with the view and haven't made a final decision either way.

4) Different actions in battle require different warm up time. In general, the more basic/simple the action the less time you have to spend between selecting the action and executing it. I agree that it is slightly annoying that some enemies have a very short warm up for their actions and beat you to the punch. Its a balancing issue and this release is pretty much not balanced at all, so you can expect to see this remedied in later releases.

hey roots, tried out the game for an hour or so and have some feedback on it.

firstly, i just want to say its brilliant, i really like the look of it, the feel of it, the battle system, the shop system, the way money/items/equipment is handled, the skills etc. it feels like a great game. i like the little things too, like the way enemies and characters look more damaged as their health goes down, thats a nice touch.

i've listed several things that i think may be bugs but might be designed that way, so a few you may already know about. i played up until the person 'changes sides in the cave, sorry i dont know how to do spoilers but that is the best i could do at describing the point without giving too much away. anyways, heres some things i noted down: (no paticular order) i'll try to keep this as factual as possible, just remember i love the game, just trying to get to the working of the game here.

1. Add a noise for the save function, i wasnt sure at first if it saved correctly.

2. add/change skill descriptions, two of the skills have the same description when they perform different results.

3. possibly have some form of inn to restore hp. (if there is one then sorry i couldnt find it) the first bit of fighting you do in the desert can be deadly and i had to reload a few times and balance around my money to scrape a potion from the shop.

4. kyle has no graphic at all, not sure if thats something you know about but in battle he just has a black diamond? (battle sprite but no face portrait)

5. sometimes the turn order is slightly out of sync, sometimes enemies/characters get to chose an ability before they actually reach the ability line.

6. there are some levels where claudius needs very little xp, as in he will need 50xp for a level, then next level he'll need 10, then he'll need 60.

7. had a crash as i entered a battle with a slime in a cave, i was expecting crashes so its not a problem just thought if i let you know where and when it happened it may help you identify a problem easier.

8. this ones more of a f.a.q / help problem, possibly explain the difference between body parts? as in what benefits you may have from attacking certain areas etc.?

9. when i equipped some higher armour (mainly the phoenix shield i noticed) enemies started going whole battles just 'missing' im not sure if thats how the armour system is intended or if it is something that shouldnt be happening.

10. yet again another possible design angle rather than a problem, but i found enemies hp scaling with my level? snakes before i ended the game had around 200hp. not sure if this was intended or not... the xp they gave scaled too however they didnt hit any harder, i went the last 15-20 or so battles i played without being hit once.

11. this was the major issue, kyle bugged in the cave, refusing to continue the event. i repeated walking out then in 7 times and it bugged in different places every time. when he is supposed to jump the gap it bugs and he just waited on the other side but i couldnt talk to him. then as i ran through the cave it played battle noises and showed dialogue as if i was talking to him but he wasnt there. I managed to move on to the next area to trigger the event in 'cave north' after that i didnt really know where to go and finished playing.

i hope these help you in some way, it was a very enjoyable demo and is looking like a promising game, keep up the good work :)

Thanks a lot for all of that feedback qprmanzz. Here's a response to all of your points. All of them were valid and I concur with pretty much all of your suggestions.

1. I completely agree and we'll try to get some sort of confirmation in for the next release.

2. Agreed. The skill descriptions suck and I didn't even know what they actually did until I looked at the script code that implements them. I've already started working on this problem.

3. Yup, I mentioned to our team that we need to add that too. We're probably going to do it in the form of a doctor/medic at the barracks instead of an inn, since this takes place at a military outpost.

4. Yup, he's missing graphics. We have zero artists actively working on the game right now so we're missing a lot of things actually. We're about to try to recruit some artists to our cause.

5. I know. I actually tried to fix this before the release, but our battle code was in such a poor state that it was very complicated to fix what should have been a minor bug. I ended up re-writing the entire battle code over the past 3-4 weeks now and this bug (among many others) has been fixed.

6. A balancing issue. We did zero work on balancing for this release and probably won't get around to it until the final release is ready.

7. According to other programmers I've fixed 99% of our crashes. I did so rather by luck as it looks to be an obscure problem we had in our timing system.

8. Heh, in the current demo there's no difference between the body parts (it always targets the "first" body part regardless of which one you select). In the current SVN code this has been changed though so now the point you select actually matters. I agree that we need to do a better job of explaining this. Basically points have different properties. Some may be harder to target (higher evade) and some may have higher or lower physical/metaphysical defense. Typically, the head is a hard target to hit, but has low defense and deals greater damage if the attack was a success.

In the future we're also going to add natural status ailments to occur sometimes when you hit a particular body part. For example, hitting the legs reduces speed, hitting the arms reduces strength, etc. Its close to being ready so I think we should get this feature in sometime soon.

9. Another balancing issue. I've partially addressed this in the latest code and wrote some common damage calculation formulas that skills utilize. Now if the damage dealt is zero, instead of registering a miss it registers a small amount of damage (1-5 HP). Not a permanent solution, but better than what we had before.

10. Yeah, enemies grow in strength the stronger your characters are. The intention is to make it so that characters don't become god-like and going back to earlier areas of the game make all the enemies so ridiculously weak its not worth the time to fight them. We've discussed about removing this feature though, or possibly scaling it back so that enemies have several "grades" instead of leveling along with the characters.

11. Kind of confused by exactly what you described, but I think you were seeing the expected behavior. As Claudius enters the cave he tries to call out to Kyle, who runs away. Then as Claudius gets closer the dialogue and battle sounds that he is hearing are from Kyle and the Captain confronting one another in the north part of the cave. After the fight with Kyle, the game doesn't really "end". It just sits there. We haven't put in an elegant way to indicate that the demo is at its end yet, but Claudius vs. Kyle is the final battle.

Sign in to follow this