Sign in to follow this  

why vsync is so costly?

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Got myself wondering. I got a fair video card Radeon 4670 - which is not top of the line, but I can play the games I want - and it seems that together with anti-aliasing, vsync comes as second as the most costly operation for this video card (for usual settings, that's it). Why is that? Anti-aliasing I can understand why it is costly to render... but what is up with vsync? Math inspired answers are welcomed. :D

It's time costly because it waits until your monitor can display the next image. Most monitors do not refresh at faster than 60 frames per second (that's LCD standard IIRC). So that means your game will be capped at 60fps.

This, by the way, is almost always desired because if you display at faster than the monitor can handle you run into a phenomenon called "tearing". Basically the monitor starts drawing a frame but before it can finish you've changed the framebuffer, so as the monitor continues to draw the frame it's now using newer data for the rest of the frame. So you get parts of each frame actually presented to the monitor.

If you're running above 60fps, there's really no point in trying to profile and optimize your code anyway. So it's awesome that you are already looking at understanding a profiler, but just wait to use it until you actually have a need.

If you're just curious where your app is spending time, disable vsync and run the profiler. again, it's not really useful data unless your game is running slow; because if it's already fast, there's nothing to do [smile]

-me

Because it makes your application wait.

60fps = 16.6ms.
Rendering = 10ms.
Wait for vsync = 6.6ms

Rendering = 1ms
Wait for vsync = 15.6ms // 15 times "costlier" than rendering

Quote:
Original post by draconar
Got myself wondering. I got a fair video card Radeon 4670 - which is not top of the line, but I can play the games I want - and it seems that together with anti-aliasing, vsync comes as second as the most costly operation for this video card (for usual settings, that's it).

Why is that? Anti-aliasing I can understand why it is costly to render... but what is up with vsync?

Math inspired answers are welcomed. :D

v-sync is fairly cheap, you have to consider what it does though, it synchronizes the graphic cards updates with those of the monitor, if your monitor updates 60 times per second (most do by default) you will never get more than 60 fps with v-sync active. (It can cause you to get less though)

VSync itself isn't costly; that's just what it's meant to do - pause your application when required such that it displays at the monitor's refresh frequency (usually 60Hz/FPS).

I don't recommend using VSync. You might not notice a visual difference, but a game will definitely feel a lot smoother at an FPS higher than 60 because it will be able to handle input and logic updates a lot more frequently.

Quote:
Original post by nullsquared
VSync itself isn't costly; that's just what it's meant to do - pause your application when required such that it displays at the monitor's refresh frequency (usually 60Hz/FPS).

I don't recommend using VSync. You might not notice a visual difference, but a game will definitely feel a lot smoother at an FPS higher than 60 because it will be able to handle input and logic updates a lot more frequently.

You can run input and logic at a frequency of higher than 60Hz regardless of vsync on or off. However, if you don't flip at VSync points you will get tearing artifacts, which (IMO) look terrible

Why do intersections make it take so much longer to get to work? What's so hard about driving through the intersection?

Answer: nothing. It's a quite short distance. But there's this thing called a traffic light, that makes you wait for a green signal - and for good reason; otherwise, things could get quite messy.

Vsync means "wait for the monitor to finish lighting refreshing all the pixels before sending it the next image".

If you turn off the vsync, parts of different frames could get drawn on the same trip. That's usually not a major issue. But on the other hand, there's no reason you need to draw any faster than the monitor. It won't help; the monitor is going as fast as it can.

And make no mistake: in computer terms, a monitor is a slow device. In the time that my screen updates a single pixel, my CPU performs more than 20 cycles, on each of 4 cores.

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1
You can run input and logic at a frequency of higher than 60Hz regardless of vsync on or off. However, if you don't flip at VSync points you will get tearing artifacts, which (IMO) look terrible

How so? Do you mean if you use a separate thread for logic/input? Indeed, but if your application is single-threaded, then that thread will have to wait for VSync.

Also, tearing is solved by double-buffering. I don't think anybody draws directly to the screen anymore these days (which is when tearing would occur if the FPS is over the monitor's refresh rate).

Quote:
Also, tearing is solved by double-buffering. I don't think anybody draws directly to the screen anymore these days (which is when tearing would occur if the FPS is over the monitor's refresh rate).
No. As an example; write a D3D app that does nothing more than call Present() with v-sync disabled (With no clear), and use the debug runtimes. You'll see a hell of a lot of tearing there; each magenta or green bar is a new frame.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
No. As an example; write a D3D app that does nothing more than call Present() with v-sync disabled (With no clear), and use the debug runtimes. You'll see a hell of a lot of tearing there; each magenta or green bar is a new frame.

"In computer graphics, double buffering is a technique for drawing graphics that shows no (or less) flicker, tearing, and other artifacts."

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve

"In computer graphics, double buffering is a technique for drawing graphics that shows no (or less) flicker, tearing, and other artifacts."

Regardless of whether you double, triple or quadruple buffer, if you update the part of video memory that is being rendered to the screen halfway through a monitor refresh, it causes what we call tearing.

Please try to understand the issue from a technical perspective rather than just regurgitating gamer nonsense.

Quote:

You can n-buffer your graphics in memory all you like; the final present to the hardware is bound by physical limitations. Flip into the memory the hardware is reading faster than the hardware can cope with, and you get tearing.

Quote:
How so? Do you mean if you use a separate thread for logic/input? Indeed, but if your application is single-threaded, then that thread will have to wait for VSync.

As stated above, the last statement is false. It has to do with updating the video memory.

Also, a single-threaded application can determine when it begins to wait for the next vsync and when it should start rendering. If this is handled correctly, using proper heuristics based on pre-obtained values, the time to wait for vsync can be minimalized, providing more time for logic or simply allowing the cpu to sleep a little more.

In this context I'm an advocate of timers, to subdivide your average 16,7 ms into a number of blocks. The last block, just before the vsync, should ideally be filled with as much logic as possible and then make the call to swap the buffers. Many games don't need the full power of the CPU during gameplay. It's preferable to let it rest and save power consumption.

I apologize if this is too far off topic.

Quote:
Original post by Aardvajk
Please try to understand the issue from a technical perspective rather than just regurgitating gamer nonsense.

I don't regurgitate game nonsense.

All I know is this:
- I draw directly to the screen; I get tearing
- I create an image, draw to that image, then display that image onto the screen in a single shot; I don't get tearing

Therefore, double-buffering solves or at least reduces tearing.

You can give me the obvious "the monitor can only refresh at oh so much hertz" all you want. That is irrefutably correct. However, displaying the whole scene in a single shot (swapping front & back buffers, or copying back buffer onto front buffer) is definitely better than displaying objects on the front buffer separately.

Please try to understand the issue from an experience-based perspective rather than just regurgitating your technical information.

Quote:

It sure looks like you were saying that double-buffering "solves" the problem of tearing, with no other qualification.

Please do try to understand the issue from the perspective of someone who reads what you wrote, and interpreted it accurately.

No need to get snippy. If you find that you're being misunderstood, try to choose your words and assertions more carefully.

Quote:
All I know is this:
- I draw directly to the screen; I get tearing
- I create an image, draw to that image, then display that image onto the screen in a single shot; I don't get tearing

Therefore, double-buffering solves or at least reduces tearing.
I think you're confusing tearing with flicker. Tearing is a subtle (or, at times, not-so-subtle) effect where the top portion of the screen will be horizontally mismatched to the bottom portion of the screen, due to a buffer swap during a horizontal camera or object move which is not synchronized to the vertical refresh. This is solved by vsync, and by nothing else. Flicker is a very un-subtle, horrid-looking effect caused by drawing directly to the front buffer; this means that the clear color, objects that should be occluded, and partially rendered objects will be visible on the screen, simply based on what was in the frame buffer when that scanline happened to be sent to the monitor. This is solved by double-buffering and not by vsync (unless you can render your scene entirely during the vertical blanking interval).

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
I think you're confusing tearing with flicker.

Woops, you're probably right Sneftel [embarrass]. My bad - someone could've mentioned that earlier >.<

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.