Sign in to follow this  

[java] Monitoring changes in ArrayList

This topic is 2838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks, Is it possible to monitor an ArrayList to determine whether an item has been added or removed, using some kind of PropertyChangeListener, Observable or some other event handler? I am using a Java graphics library and need to be able to draw new objects as they are added, which may be at arbitrary times, so I need to be able to somehow listen for new items being added to the ArrayList. Any thoughts on how to do this? I've Googled and can't really find much. TIA, ukd.

ArrayList is an optimized low-level class; it doesn't implement such high-level functionality. You'd have to add the event handling yourself, which has less to do with Java than software engineering in general. Consider the decorator pattern. Or, if you don't want it to be particularly extensible, you could implement it as simply as this:

// I don't know what your list is for, so excuse the generic names
List<T> objects = new ArrayList<T>() {
@Override
public boolean add(T object) {
super.add(object); // Always returns true for ArrayList
repaint();
return true;
}

@Override
public boolean remove(T object) {
boolean result = super.remove(object);
if(result)
repaint();
return result;
}

// you get the idea...
};

What you're after is a simple extension of ArrayList but with property change support. Unfortunately you can't extend PropertyChangeSupport as you already need to extend ArrayList, but luckily this sort of thing is a minimal amount of code.

Basically, extend ArrayList and override all methods that modify the internal array (see Collection for a better view of those). Every time the array is modified, loop over the collection of listeners listening to your new ArrayList class and tell them what's happened. A snippet:

private ArrayList<PropertyChangeListener> _listeners = new ArrayList<PropertyChangeListener>(0);

protected void firePropertyChange(String type, E oldValue, E newValue)
{
PropertyChangeEvent event = new PropertyChangeEvent(this,type,oldValue,newValue);
for (PropertyChangeListener listener : _listeners)
listener.propertyChange(event);
}

edit: if you're still unsure after reading these replies I've actually got a class that does exactly what you've enquired about at home, so I can provide the source if you want.

This topic is 2838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.