Sign in to follow this  

AIML interpretter and language features

This topic is 2838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If anyone remembers back about a decade ago there was a simple markup language for use in CBR or Conversation Based Reasoning called AIML (Artificial Intelligence Markup Language). I have taken the task of creating a new intterpretor for the language as most other program were writting many years ago or are written in a language beside C++ (which I prefer). Elements appear like this:
<category><pattern /><that /><template>I am the response to the pattern <get /> I 
can have other tags inside <uppercase>me</uppercase></template></category>

Each file can have many categories and these are best stored in a branching tree structure for quick traversal and template retrieval. I have constructed a working tree and traversal alogrithm that can find the correct template in a quick amount of time. Now I just need to interpret the tags inside it. I am looking for tips, hints, other resources, anything that someone might find useful for interpretting the template-side elements. Edit: The link to the most current work on the standard is Alicebot

I've used a open-source library named RebeccaAIML to build a simple chat robot years ago.just use the library's interface and haven't read the code.
the site seems like rebecca-aiml.sourceforge.net

Well after much work I did manage to get it working thanks to a tip from a buddy. I was searching for the open tags first. Well if you need to handle inner nested tags first than it makes it more work. Especially if you have 2 tags that are the same nested because you pull the first closing tag which belongs to the inner tag to close the outer one and it just explodes from there. My buddy suggested searching for the first closing tag and search backwards from that (he isn't a big programmer either). For the most part It is all working, I just need to complete support for a few of the major tags, maybe 3 or 4, and it is done for the alpha stage.

If anyone can and would like to test it please do. You can download the whole zip here Alice. Of course my final version will have a different personality and brain than ALICE. To run it simply extract the folder and executable and run Alice.exe. Once it is open chose open, either directory or files, and load 1 or more .aiml files. The more you load the better the test. From there ask question or make statements and see what it comes up with for a response. Any obvious bugs or weirdness post the normalized line and response for me and I'll track down the issue.

Bump!

Major changes to the core system including bug fixes and security updates. Also there has been a fix for the "I hope so" infinite loop. Some debug features have been added as well, use the arrow at the top right to pop it out. Check my previous post for download and instructions. Also you will need to copy the reductions.aiml file into the aiml folder and overwrite the old one. Please post issues and feedback. With bugs please post the normalized input for me to debug it.

This topic is 2838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.