Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azrael

PR Screen saver

Hmm.. well MOV to be sincere this is the first time I get an insulting snappy answer so congrats on being number 1! Nice grammar too! do you write articles for a magazine or something?

On the other hand wouldnt you waste exactly the same time, brains and lines in answering:
" why dont you check altavista or yahoo with SCREENSAVER PROGRAMMING." ?
You probably wouldnt look so immature, childlish, caffeine and nicotine adicted if you did... maybe.
Plus you wouldnt get snappy insulting answers (like this one) back , you would get a "thanks!" instead. I think you should think about that.

p.s. At the time I thought it wasn't a bad question since a lot of people has asked me exactly the same ,But I've seen the light I should insult them as an answer, and tell them "what the hell were you thinking!?" get lots of friends in the process, nice move MOV--

BTW compile this!
mov hell, MOV

I agree with you Mov, on the point that it can be greater to lead a person to how to attain knowledge, rather than just handing out the answer.

On the otherhand, though, it does not need to be handed out in malevolence.

If reading this forum, answering, and asking questions spawns such anger in you, perhaps you should step back from it.

I don't say this to be rude, but its an observation. If you truly mean what you say about thinking, then perhaps you will consider what I have said.

But on the otherhand, if you ignore what I've brought up here, then you are a hypocrite and this will probibly only result in a quick quip back from you.

Gary

PS: I too, perfer thinkers over nonthinkers. I just take a less arrogant stance.

PSS: Sometimes two heads working on a problem are better than one, and they can reach some really impressive answers. So, questions need not always be solved by a quick search in altavista.

Oh, I almost forgot. Mov, if your looking for an example of leading, look at Chris' posts. More often than not, he leads to the knowledge, rather than just handing it out. Also, he does it without spite.

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited December 16, 1999).]

Finding the answer by searching over the internet does not mean that you discovered yourself. Therefor MOV, according to your ethics, you are not a thinker.

What is the difference between asking someone on the internet and reading something on the internet. Not much.

I believe it was one of the better questions to come up on this board. Most people ask "what is the best free C/C++ compiler?".

Just ignore MOV because he just thinks that yelling at someone makes people believe he is better then they are. When in reality, if he had just provided an answer to the question then he would have at least proved that he knows something that you didn't. Which in itself doesn't mean very much at all.

I'll be expecting a snappy reply soon.

To answer your question. It' s quite simple.

Windows screen savers are actual executables, except that when you compile them you must change the .exe extension to .scr and compile. How they do the options is simple also when you click on setup it's sends a msg to the screen saver you wrotte through some fucntions calls unfortunantly i dont remeber them you can check whether setup has been pressed and you can call your dialogue box.

I know this for sure cause I had done it quite a while back using VB and all I had to do is compile as exe except changing the extension to.scr. That how I rember I had to do it. Then just copy all the necesary files to your windows dir.

Ok, here you go then

1. Screen Saver Programming API
    For people who program the plain Windows API, using any compiler. This library does all the necessay system work leaving you to focus on coding your particular stuff.

Have a professional-looking Plus! style configuration dialog with mouse sensitivity, hot corners etc. without any effort.

Comes with lots of example savers including a sliding tile puzzle, some animated fire and a DirectDraw saver

2. How To Write 32bit Screen Savers
    full technical details along with lots of code extracts. Includes things that even Microsoft haven't documented!

3. Game Development Search Engine
    To avoid unhelpful and unwanted replies.

Hope this helps you, Good Luck.

PS. -Are you going to give it out once your done? I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

gee, then I guess it is alright to yell at someone and call them stupid. Why live by rules? Why help anyone? Why post or read anything on a message board?

One thing more. I didn't say that you were not a thinker. I just said that by your definition of one, you are not.

Good show old chap.

And I was under the impression that the purpose of this board was to get information and resources about all aspects of coding with PR. Boy, do I feel like a non-thinker. Glad that is all cleared up now... Thanks mov.

Well, I found some cool websites from Gromit. The real purpose of the board is to share knowledge, if you do not feel like helping others attain it then please bow out of the discussion. Has any one here besides Jarrod made a FULL blown game with PR ? If you have please feel free to elevate the rest of us.

I quite agree that this discussion does not belong in here.

I'll give one last comment, and then I will be done with it.

Mov, you are quick to provide an answer but you do so without any solid support. All of your arguments(I should say sudo-arguments) are pointless because of this. You claim to want to cause thinking, but you fall short of your goal.
Imagine if I was making the claim that the sky was an amorphous blob of Jello. Without support my entire argument is a waist and will be dismissed by any true thinker.
You sound like a wanna-be philosopher. Unfortunately you use a form of sudo-thinking, rather than critical thinking, leaving you only with the illusion of thought, and ignorance.

I must say as an assumed conclusion that you are stupid.
"Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, stupidity is ignorance with pride"

Well, that's my 2 cents. Mov, don't bother writing a response to me. I'm done with this discussion.

Gary

How can I make a screen saver out of a a character animation? I mean I have a cool dancing character and a program displaying it but how can I convert it to a windows screen saver? where can I find info on this?