Sign in to follow this  

Text and ZBuffer

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi again, Does anyone know if it's possible to play with the z ordering of ID3DXFont objects to hide some behind objects ? I have made a few test but I'm unable to move the text at different depths. I can't play with 3D objects overlapping the text. Oliver

ID3DXFont uses ID3DXSprite which uses an orthographic projection matrix by default, so the Z values won't match up, which would make the Z values from one projection space meaningless in the other.

You could however use the D3DXSPRITE_OBJECTSPACE flag to ID3DXSprite::Begin (Which is the sprite you'll need to pass to ID3DXFont), but then you'll need to make sure you use a transform which won't scale the text - which could be tricky.

Try changing the viewport's Z range to limit the range to which Z values are transformed. That should be an easy way to control this.

Using the sprite's transform may not be too difficult. I'd assume that changing the translation's Z and leaving everything else the same would work.

Note that as Steve says, these Z values are not the world's Z values, but if you transform your objects using world/view/projection you should get the relevant values.

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.