Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Learning C++ Help

This topic is 5978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I''m trying to learn C++. I have a book from Sams Publishing ''Learn Visual C++ 6.0 in 21 Days'' and ''Teach Yourself C++'' from NTC Publishing Group. Both is these are nice books but I was wondering if there is one really good book that cuts straight to teaching you what you need to know in C++ when it comes to making games. Could anyone point me to some online tutorials or where I can buy a book like that. No I haven''t check the Books and Software section of GameDev.net. I''d be very appreciative if the tutorial or book used VC++ 5 or 6. Thank you.

I remember having the same problem years ago, when I first started game programming in C++. I''ll tell you what I wish I known back then:

- From what I remember, most of the "Learn in 21 days" type of books were teaching MFC and not pure C++. MFC is mainly for making windows apps and it can be extremely confusing trying to learn that. No one really uses it for game programming much.
The book I would recommend getting (in my opinion) is C++ for Dummies. I kid you not. Those dummies books can be brilliantly written. And they teach the basics that you''ll need in a very straightforward way without cluttering your mind with stuff you''ll probably never use.
From there, you''ll be ready to get "Tricks Of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe. GREAT book...I think most of us learned much of our stuff from him.

The other biggest tip I could add is start small. Back in the day, I tried reaching too high and tried making a game WAY past my level. I had to bring myself back down to reality and realize that learning to make games isnt just knowledge...its an art.

Hope I said something helpful. Lemme know how things go. I''ll be glad to help any way I can.

First of all I think you should learn just straight forward C++. Then move on to game programming. As far as books to read for C++. I honestly hate the for Dummies books. Those books can look relatively cryptic for a simple program. Also small things like not using keywords in a different font face to stand out in text make those books harder to read. I think you should get the Complete Idiot''s Guide to C++ because it''s literally for the complete idiot and it can be a fun read. Though the book wont tell you some of the more techy crap behind what you are doing all the time. I recommend getting a 21 day or 24 hour books with one of those - particularly those published by Sams. Those will tell you a lot. If you were on a budget just get a 21 days books.

After you understand all of the stuff in those books you can jump right into game programming but you probably need more experience. Try teaching people what you know and making programs on your own to solidify what you know in your head. Then you should move on to game programming. Also getting a "More C++" book(advanced C++ topics) will help more. Those books technically teach you "all" you need to know about C++ and syntax but you still haven''t put them all to a real world use yet so you ain''t that smart yet =).

For game programming I think you should know a bit about the Win32 API first. Many people will tell you that it sucks, or its not neccessary but how could it hurt to know more? And besides even if it sucks, you need to know a bit about it if you want to get any jobs that make windows programs. I recommend Windows Programming from the Ground Up. Those tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. And in the beginning you will be hearing things again to make sure you know whats going on. The book is so thick because of this too. It never gives you a peice of code that you have to decide where it goes in the previos program. The whole thing is written over again.

At this point most people will probably say learn 2d or some will say 3d. I personally started with 3D - though only because I got the Direct X 8 SDK and Microsoft took DirectDraw(2d) out and now there is only Direct3D(3d). I guess since no one is making 2d games you should learn 3d first. As far as which API to use(Open GL vs D3D) don''t ask me. I dont know jack about Open GL and right now im pissed off at Direct 3D because the NeXe tutorial is doing a lackluster job around tutorial 5 or 6. And I wont move forward until I understand every inchalata. I say learn whatever you want. Or RESEARCH about it yourself. DO NOT ask that question on this forum. People get very mad...

-My long 2cents.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

Thanks a lot you two. I''ll look into those books. Both of my cousins have learned C++ pretty well so, if things do run in the family I should do fine. Thanks again.

Guest Anonymous Poster
once you have the basics down buy "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. It is a very good book, I think everyone needs a copy.

Even after you finish learning, a good book of algorithms or data structures would also be good to get. I would also say learning the Win32 API might help you. Herbert Schildt''s Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up is very good but it leaves some things out. Programming Windows by Charles Petzold is also another good book. It covers a lot more than the other one, but it also leaves out some things (which are covered in from the ground up). When learning DirectX (if that is what you decide to learn), I think we would all recommend Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus.

Also, you may be able to just walk right in to 3D, but learning 2D first would definately help you learn game structure and important stuff like that. But it''s your choice.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi, I recently found myself in the same place. I also read the "21 days" book and a couple of others. The best ones I found were "object oriented programming in C++" by the Waite Group and "Beginning Visual C++" By Ivor Horton (Wrox).