• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chiblue

OpenGL Mesh disappears.. confused..

This topic is 3127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have several animated meshes, they are selectable in my project, positioned in C code and then attached to the camera as a child so that they rotate in relation with the camera... I just completed a new mesh but when I use this mesh the entire mesh disappears and is no longer rendered when at certain X rotation... basically when the mesh is at or near level, i.e. pointing parallel to the landscape.. This does not look like culling becuase when I move the mesh too close to the camera some of the faces are not rendered... The other meshes I have work fine and do not disappear... but this one does and I am completely confused by why.. This project is using opengl, in C++... There is something about the rotational position of the mesh that is causing it to totally disappear... it is definitely camera related, becuase if I create another camera and use a 3rd person perspective... the mesh is always intact... what I don't understand is why the entire mesh is disappearing, if I rotate the camera up or down, the mesh re-appears... and it is always the exact same rotation point that it disappears and re-appears... this changes if I move the mesh in relation to the camera... If this is culling why is it totally disappearing and not just the culled faces.. I have disabled occlusion for the mesh without any success...

Advertisement
Have you stepped through your program in the debugger to check if anything is amiss? My guess is that you might be hitting some kind of trigonometric singularity or divide by zero error because you say it happens when the mesh is near level (0 rotation). But I have no idea what your code looks like so its hard to say.

Post some relevant code so we can have a look at what you're doing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!