• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raislin

Engine Design

This topic is 3059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, everyone. I'm working on building a 2D Game Engine based on the irrlicht 3D Graphics Engine. I'm more or less considering it an unofficial extension to the irrlicht library, so I'm sticking to the rules on their website for extending the engine. However, I want the 2D Engine to be complete, and eventually hope to write a full program with it that has an integrated map editor, as well as event manager, etc. By complete, I mean I would like it to allow one to create RPGs, both classic FF style or Chrono Trigger style, as well as fighting games, scrolling shooters and platformers, and so on. Here's my problem: How should it be structured? I've already written a tile manager that works. I need to streamline it in the future, but it currently correctly performs everything I'd like it to. (More info: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37336). What are other important things I need to consider, such as an event manager, perhaps sound. I'm guess I should have a separate hierarchy of classes for handling sprites and their relevant functions. Any suggestions, perhaps a link on in-depth information?

Advertisement
Write some examples of the types of games you want your engine to support. Then extract the parts that were common between them. That's really the only way to know what belongs in an engine. Game engines aren't beginner projects. Games can be though.

Of course it's not a beginner project, but it's what I'm most interested in at this point. The problem with making a game is that it most often seems to involve opening a world editor (whether 2D or 3D) and doing most of the work there, with subsequent customizations done through scripting.

That's great and all, but I'm more interested in the underlying code and structure that the design of a game. The most I want to know about game design at this particular time is enough to provide all the tools a developer would need in creating their game.

Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion will help me. I'm not writing for a specific type of 2D game. Either that, or I misunderstand your suggestion, in which case I apologize.

Couldn't you just rewrite some of the functions to just ignore the Z? Not sure how expansive that engine is or how in depth you want to go.

I'm not 100% sure why you'd want to extend a 3D engine to do 2D work though. It seems like it would be really inefficient with system resources unless you pretty much rewrote a copy in 2D, which may or may not be worth your time (especially if you're the only person doing anything).

Edit: You can disregard this for now. I'm going to read up on a few things and may revive this thread later if needed.

Well, it's a free graphics engine, so that's not a problem. And just writing out the Z simply wouldn't work. I believe it has all of the necessary 2D tools built-in, but it's a graphics engine and I want to make a game engine.

If you take my tile manager as an example (I'm not even sure a tile manager is what I want, but I made it so I had something to get me motivated and started: it uses the 2D aspects of the engine to create a managing system to draw tiles to the screen in an efficient manner, rather than explicitly stating "draw this here, then that there, and then..."

Quote:
Original post by Raislin
Well, it's a free graphics engine, so that's not a problem. And just writing out the Z simply wouldn't work. I believe it has all of the necessary 2D tools built-in, but it's a graphics engine and I want to make a game engine.

If you take my tile manager as an example (I'm not even sure a tile manager is what I want, but I made it so I had something to get me motivated and started: it uses the 2D aspects of the engine to create a managing system to draw tiles to the screen in an efficient manner, rather than explicitly stating "draw this here, then that there, and then..."

I think I misunderstood your original question then.

You're main goal is to take a 3D graphics engine and use it in your 2D game engine/editor? And are you looking for a 2D engine or a 2D editor?

Raislin, we aren't being critical of your interest (you've explicitly stated your interest is about the underlying tools, not the actual game). But, the thing is, you're making a game engine. In doing so, what you're saying is, "I have an idea of how to approach various design issues common to a set of games".

Then you come here and ask us what that approach is.

Do you see what the issue is? Making a game engine means that you determine the answer to your questions. To ask us defeats the purpose of creating your own game engine...

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Raislin, we aren't being critical of your interest (you've explicitly stated your interest is about the underlying tools, not the actual game). But, the thing is, you're making a game engine. In doing so, what you're saying is, "I have an idea of how to approach various design issues common to a set of games".

Then you come here and ask us what that approach is.

Do you see what the issue is? Making a game engine means that you determine the answer to your questions. To ask us defeats the purpose of creating your own game engine...

I didn't think anyone was being critical. I could go about making the engine the way I think it would be made, but, aside from some aspects that I just don't know about, I'm afraid it'll be bloated and defeat the purpose of using one.

I wouldn't mind making a game first to get myself started, but I really don't want to be using anything that involves using an editor, as that'll ruin the learning process for me. But even this hasn't been pretty much impossible to find good information on. Most books are useless. Or rather, every book I've come across has been useless.

That's why I said to just disregard it for now. I'm going to attempt to go about creating a game, but getting started has wasted so much of my time up until now.

Quote:
Original post by Raislin
I could go about making the engine the way I think it would be made, but, aside from some aspects that I just don't know about, I'm afraid it'll be bloated and defeat the purpose of using one.

That's indeed a big risk if you're setting out to build an engine in isolation, yeah. That's why many people here discourage beginners from building engines. You can't build a 'complete' engine anyway: 'complete' differs from game to game. :)

What I've found to be a good approach is to build a simple game first - and then another, reusing some code from the first. Go through a few iterations like that and you'll end up with a framework that has proven itself to be practically useful.

For example, you could find that your tile manager (sprite manager? tile manager sounds similar to tilemap, and that's not what you've got here) is not very practical if you can't determine it's width and height. And in another game, you could see that a tile manager would be more flexible if it had a position of it's own, allowing you to compose levels of multiple tile manager objects. And perhaps tile IDs are too cumbersome to work with? Perhaps drawing big tile collections isn't very efficient, and you'll want to store them in an internal spatial structure? These are things you'll only encounter when you're actually putting it to use.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind making a game first to get myself started, but I really don't want to be using anything that involves using an editor, as that'll ruin the learning process for me.

You'll still learn things - just different things. Which can be a healthy thing: level-design showed me how the various parts of a game come together (AI, art, models, sound, design, etc.). That helped me a lot later on.

Quote:
That's why I said to just disregard it for now. I'm going to attempt to go about creating a game, but getting started has wasted so much of my time up until now.

What problems did you run into? Where did you get stuck? I'm sure we can give some specific advice. :)

Quote:
I'm going to attempt to go about creating a game, but getting started has wasted so much of my time up until now.

I can totally relate to that.

When I was first starting I always got lost trying to do basic things like putting pictures on the screen. I never finished anything, because I never got beyond that basic stuff. Then I discovered Flash and could finally focus on making games and not graphics subsystems and so forth. Having had such a good experience with it, if you have the cash to poney up or the open-source know how, I recommend Flash as a good starting point.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!