Sign in to follow this  

basic questions about Flash/ActionScript 3

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to write a browser-based casual game. Looking over a couple of the big casual game portals I noticed that 90% of the offerings are Flash games. I was going to do mine in Java, but I'm wondering if I'm just choosing Java because I don't know the slightest thing about Flash and that Flash would actually be a better choice given its large installed user base. The game I want to write is a word game and needs a dictionary. I'll probably use the first edition of the Scrabble dictionary because it's public domain. So my question is: Is it feasible to have a hash set containing 100,000 strings in a browser-based Flash game? Also how does one go about building a Flash game? Do I have to buy Adobe Flash CS4 or are there open source authoring tools in existence?

Quote:
Original post by jwezorek
The game I want to write is a word game and needs a dictionary. I'll probably use the first edition of the Scrabble dictionary because it's public domain. So my question is: Is it feasible to have a hash set containing 100,000 strings in a browser-based Flash game?

How about just making a request to the server whenever you need to check a word? There's no need for the entire dictionary to exist on the client.

Quote:
Also how does one go about building a Flash game? Do I have to buy Adobe Flash CS4 or are there open source authoring tools in existence?

You don't have to. For instance, you could use FlashDevelop with the Flex SDK.

Quote:
Original post by Wan
How about just making a request to the server whenever you need to check a word? There's no need for the entire dictionary to exist on the client.

Yeah, that's the right way to do it. I don't know about this sort of thing; I'm pretty much an old school C++ person who has only used scripting languages for, well, scripting.

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.