Sign in to follow this  

[java] Java, the web, and the GPU

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, First, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, but I figured my question mainly deals with Java technologies. My question basically deals with the best approach to doing a fluid sim on the web using the GPU so that web users can interact with it. I currently have a fluid sim running on the gpu using openGL and GLSL. Its a multi pass approach using framebuffers to capture data from the GPU and feed it into the next pass as input. I have been doing some research, and have read about jogl, javaCL, processing, and webGL. I'm looking for some guidance on what would be the best approach (mostly in terms of performance). I need to be able to use the gpu for acceleration purposes, and it would be great to be able to leverage some of my existing code. My concern with webGL is it is so new and is only in preview builds of browsers. I tried using processing, but there aren't many resources out there for getting help. I appreciate any responses. Thanks, Patrick

LWJGL and JOGL can both run in an applet (so can both run in the browser). Both take advantage of hardware acceleration of course. Performance is great for LWJGL in the browser from what I've seen. Can't say much for JOGL since I haven't used it, but OpenGL code in C maps rather directly to LWJGL code, with the exception of setting up native FloatBuffers and the like (but you can find plenty of example code for those).

WebGL is not something you'd want to use right now probably. How many browsers support it yet? It will be years before it will be widespread, and even then it's only for OpenGL ES. With LWJGL you can take advantage of all the latest OpenGL 3.2 features (provided the user's graphics card driver supports them) and you don't need special browser support, although you do need the user to have a Java Runtime Environment installed. IMHO it's more feasible to ask a user to install Java than to ask a user to upgrade their browser.

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.