Sign in to follow this  

building a DirectX 3DSMax compiler tutorial???

This topic is 2843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I'm currently a student learning Games and Simulation Programming and am at that point were I'm trying to beef up my portfolio before that important time comes. I've learned that DirectX10+ has changed a lot of features and one of those was the use of .x files. I'm hoping to get a little help and finding a tutorial that could teach me how to build a compiler that could read a 3dS file and build it into a custom format for my engine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, as most of my results have come up with little information.

How is that going to help your portfolio? By showing a potential employer that you wasted time parsing an old format when there are several better options? What job are you planning on applying for? Wouldn't you be better off writing a simulation of something?

Also, compilers turn human readable statements into machine code. That's not going to help you parse the .3ds format. I'm sure that you're actually asking how to write a parser.

Quote:
Original post by BLiTZWiNG
How is that going to help your portfolio? By showing a potential employer that you wasted time parsing an old format when there are several better options? What job are you planning on applying for? Wouldn't you be better off writing a simulation of something?

Also, compilers turn human readable statements into machine code. That's not going to help you parse the .3ds format. I'm sure that you're actually asking how to write a parser.

Exactly the kind of post I was looking for, something to help with the confusion.

As to what job I'm going for, at this point, I'm not exactly sure. So far, every programming I've done in school, I've enjoyed. The A.I., Direct X, Simulation, Networking, Level Design, and Modeling. More than likely, I'll probably be seeking out a position in Game Engine programming of some wort, but right now I'm looking to do something by myself. So, I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can seem pretty open and useful.

After posting, I've realized I should be asking since .x is no longer supported in DX10+ is there a format that is reasonable that I could use to import models into a program.

Right now, from the books I've been learning from, they used DirectX 9 and imported .x files as examples, but not once described any alternate means.

Well the short answer IMHO is FBX and COLLADA. FBX is owned by Autodesk and there is a library you can include in your code. COLLADA is an open source format, and I'm sure there are parsers for it already, though I use XNA, which is more closely tied to FBX and X (since it only uses DX9).

I think, again my own opinion, that you're probably better off starting by writing a few simple games like pong, breakout, tetris. Get a feel for game programming in general, get yourself some experience. In the process, you'll learn more about the whole game making thing and have a better idea of what might be is expected of you when you apply for a job.

This topic is 2843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.