Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xorcist

What is this SDL I keep hearing about...

Okay... while I read that site over, in more depth, let me throw out a couple tentative questions for all you knowledgable people:

1) Are there any reasons I use SDL over DirectX or OpenGL (Other than the large cross-platformability)?

2) Has anyone here personally used it and can give a performance opinion on it?

Thanks Again...

1) You don''t have to learn any other API''s to use SDL (like the Win32 API or XLib), I guess that''s a plus . It''s also open source (LGPL) and endian independent. I''ve only started using it recently, so I don''t know a whole lot of reasons . BTW: You can use it with OpenGL just fine .

2) It seems to be fast enough from what I''ve done with it. However, the current rewrite of my engine (which uses SDL for a lot of things, but OpenGL for the graphics) is just getting started (6 week forced ''vacation'' delayed its progress a lot) so I can''t really say ''personally'' how fast it is in great detail.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Performance seems fine. Saves a lot of coding time compared to normal DirectDraw in my case, too. The sound API doesn''t seem quite as good as the graphics one, but that''s because its main aim is portability, not ease of use. There are lots of extra additional libraries for it that you can add in for plenty of other common tasks.