Sign in to follow this  

Capturing an obscured DirectX window

This topic is 2844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a way or capturing a screenshot of a DirectX application, even when the application's window is partially or completely hidden by other windows. Basically a PrintWindow() for DirectX. I searched all around the internet and the closet I found was the below two posts, they discuss a way to do this in Vista, but the source code doesn't work on Win7. I also tried a bunch of screen capture programs (Camtasia, etc.) but could not find one which will capture a hidden DirectX window, so I am not sure if this is even possible without alot of extra work. Thanks! http://jmorrill.hjtcentral.com/Home/tabid/428/EntryId/278/Vista-DWM-Hacking-Capture-and-Stream-D3D-WPF-Windows-Real-Time.aspx http://spazzarama.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/screen-capture-with-vista-dwm/#comment-176

If you know the version of Direct3D being used, I'd do it by hooking Direct3D and using the normal methods to take screenshots. It'd be a bit of extra work, but would work on any OS that can run D3D9.

Example.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, wow that was fast! There are two problems with the approach you mention:

1) I don't have a full list, but this software will have to run on different versions of DirectX, not just D3D9.

2) [More importantly] Hooking is pretty intrusive and has inherent risks, so I don't think there is a good chance I will be able to use it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

This topic is 2844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.