Theres no hope for a student trying to install JOGL

Started by
3 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi there, I am trying to create a Java OpenGL program in Netbeans I usually use DirectX and I hate Java but my hatred is not without reason. I have spent over two hours trying to get JOGL to be included in my java SDK. I have used the files at https://games-binaries.dev.java.net/build/index.html and multiple other completely different looking attachments for Java i've filled every bin and lib under my Java installs for 32 and 64 bit Java when I open netbeans all I can see under imports is import JoglPack.JOGL.BaselineResizeBehavior; no import javax.media.* or net.java.something something I have installed loads of crap like j2re1.4.2_19 jdk1.6.0_18 jre jre6 and filled all their libraries and subfolders with these 5 files which vary based on where you download them in format and even come in different layered folder structures with different install locations. Am I insane or is this the most poorly documented language in the world theres no ordered structure to it in the Java folder and any tutorials you find online are trivial or eccentric. Can anyone explain or even link me to JOGL install files or upload them to the internet because I dont think they exist anymore in a practical usable means. Then tell me where to place them so they function properly I have been to like 8 different websites and registered details with people to download files that install more crap that doesn't let me reach JOGL and as soon as I get it running I can progress on to actually doing work. Why the hell is there not a large competent install procedure like with DirectX for this? If you cant tell I need it working for university work. I am running windows 7 I dont care if it runs in 32 or 64bit at all although a 32 bit version would be preferable.
Advertisement
Did you stfw?
1.Download the NetBeans OpenGL Pack from the plugin portal and extract the archive
2.Start NetBeans and open the Plugin Manager (Tools->Plugins)
3.Enable Force install into shared directories on the Settings page
4.Add all modules (.nbm files) to the Downloaded plugins list and press Install
5.The installation wizard will guide you now for the rest of the installation

Im on 6.8 of netbeans and I added the plugins with enable force set where should I be looking for imports? theres no change in anything the files all claim to be installed but I still just have JoglPack as an include with a single component in it. The installation succeeded fine could the library files I added be affecting this install process at all? I thought it unlikely.
Reinstalled everything and it worked fine I guess the other things I installed conflicted in some way with your correct method thanks for your help :)
Quote:Original post by EnlightenedOne
Am I insane or is this the most poorly documented language in the world theres no ordered structure to it in the Java folder and any tutorials you find online are trivial or eccentric.

Can't say anything about JOGL but Java itself is one of the most well-documented languages in the world. Apart from hundreds of thousands of online tutorials and journal articles you also have available to you the official tutorial trails and the official JDK documentation, including the official API reference. All of these are exhaustive and well-structured. Not to mention all the books. It's also well-organized - in fact, Java pretty much forces you into using its package structure, unless you want to dump all your classes into one package. It's a bit unfair to blame the language in this case :-) but I'm glad you were able to sort it out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement