Sign in to follow this  

Few questions

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1.) I'm making games for Windows using directX. I'm programming in Visual Studio Express (C++) and as far I as I know, it's totaly free including for selling games. If I want to sell games as an indy developer, do I have to buy liscence at microsoft or somethig? 2.) How well are indy games only for windows selling anyway? Cassual games that are not on the top with original design and popular that is (well, I can't excpect to make some amazing titles at the start). (I know the fact "better the game better is sale" but I'm wondering if iPhones, consoles and other mobile devices are pushing away windows games away strongly) Thanks for the answers!

MSVC++ has no licensing restrictions on you making commercial products with it, so no, to sell games on Windows, you need no licenses from Microsoft. Microsoft is awesome in this respect.

Edit: Woops that got truncated so it looked like I was directing you to my site when it was actually the indiegame forums....

Quote:
Original post by Blodyavenger
2.) How well are indy games only for windows selling anyway? Cassual games that are not on the top with original design and popular that is (well, I can't excpect to make some amazing titles at the start).
(I know the fact "better the game better is sale" but I'm wondering if iPhones, consoles and other mobile devices are pushing away windows games away strongly)

Thanks for the answers!

You answered your own question - it depends.
check out http://www.forums.indiegamer.com for insights from indie game developers. Basically you are unlikely to generate any meaningful sales until...
1. You make a good game - in fact you will likely need to have several good games before you make enough money to live on.
2. People learn that you exist (depends how good you are at marketing).

Being indie is not a quick or easy way to get rich but if you keep at it you can earn a good living.

[Edited by - Obscure on March 4, 2010 4:44:32 AM]

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.