My fellow composers...

Started by
5 comments, last by Imphenzia 14 years, 1 month ago
There are too many of us! :p In one respect I can appreciate that, even glorify it, as in many other boards there are very few of us. But there are disadvantages to this: 'Too many of us' creates a lot of unnecessary competition that loses its effectiveness at a certain point. A lot of people are far too lazy to check out all of us. And the second problem is many of us are fully capable to write a full soundtrack in a few weeks, even those of us who are perfectionists. These jokers writing the games usually don't even finish their projects, large or small. The third problem is we composers are generally poor. Either because we buy a lot of shit to make our stuff competetive, or because we're the typical do-or-die musician with a part time job or no job; attributable to the economy, and in my case a deep sense of individualism which is obviously a problem for employers. I guess if I wanted to insert some sort of positive message among all this, I would say, KEEP AT IT, and no matter how poor you are, keep taking projects, especially if they really inspire you to write great stuff. Even if they're never finished, you'll undoubtedly get good experience out of it, and extra tracks you can use for something else!
If you're interested, I have two sites to refer you to:http://www.myspace.com/artimusbenaThis is my game/instrumental musicAndhttp://www.myspace.com/fiveredlacesThis is the experimental rock music you will probably enjoy if you like any band that has the balls to write original stuff.
Advertisement
I propose a DEATH MATCH!

Only one composer left standing, and he will be in great demand after the purging.
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com
Quote:Original post by Dannthr
I propose a DEATH MATCH!
Only one composer left standing, and he will be in great demand after the purging.

Nah, having more than one composer around keeps us orchestrators in business! [cool]

Quote:Original post by Artimus Bena

There are too many of us! :p

That's an interesting perspective. As an artist/coder, I would say there's too many of *us*. In fact, I don't know any musicians, so to me they are a rarity.
I like Dan's idea.

Subzero wins.

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/25/subzerowins.png

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

... jokers writing the games usually don't even finish their projects, large or small.

The third problem is we composers are generally poor. Either because we buy a lot of pretty expensive shit to make our stuff competetive, or because we're the typical do-or-die musician with a part time job or no job...

How wonderfully accurate this is! :)

The message of the post reminds me of
">the perfect mood-raiser by The Streets. You'll have to listen to the whole track, though.
____________________________________________Kristo KaasFreelance composerWebpage
Quote:Original post by kristokaas
... jokers writing the games usually don't even finish their projects, large or small.

The third problem is we composers are generally poor. Either because we buy a lot of pretty expensive shit to make our stuff competetive, or because we're the typical do-or-die musician with a part time job or no job...

How wonderfully accurate this is! :)

I'd like to claim the opposite. I'm surprised of how nicely priced stuff is nowdays. I sold nearly all my hardware stuff and replaced it with software apart from a master keyboard. What I used to have to spend of hardware now gives me tons of more stuff that sounds better and is much easier to use =)

It would be nice with some sort of a qualified list for composers based on quality, pricing, and reputation :)

Universal Sound FX - Thousands of sounds in an affordable and evolving library for indie developers, only $15 =)

Imphenzia Soundtrack - Music for Indie Games - Music Showcase

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement