Sign in to follow this  

How do you draw a trail effect behind a users cursor

This topic is 2841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I'm after a way of drawing a trail that fades off behind the users mouse cursor. Im using WPF which sadly lacks much support for directly drawing pixels to a screen, but I think I can get some of it to work if I get some of the theory behind it. So, typically (in 2d space), how would someone draw/create the effect of a trail that follows the users cursor, with simple effects like fading away, and if possible, combining to create a goo/water like effect. Im not sure if Im really asking a specific question here, but Im just after some ideas as to how to draw some of these types of effects. There is a blogger that I am following with this post: http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/rickbarraza?entry=advanced_render_techniques_with_writeablebitmaps which is just brilliant, but Im not sure how to extend it further (more that just a line and an ellipse) and I dont really understand the bit-wise operations that he uses for the colors etc... Thanks for any help you can give me Cheers, Mark

An easy solution would be to keep the last X positions of the cursor and draw the cursor at each position - with newest cursor at highest alpha and oldest cursor at lowest alpha.

Catalin Zima had a good post on mimicking the cursor from world of goo. here

Hi glaeken, that kind of theory is kind of a given, but that blog post looks awesome and I will give that a good looking into!

Thanks a lot

This topic is 2841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.