• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GreenFuze

Going to Fullscreen: The specified mode is unsupported. CreateDevice/Reset Fails

This topic is 3031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everybody I just wrote my first DirectX window (I got the introduction to 3D Game programming with DirectX9.0c book) after I saw all the recommendations on this book. :-) The application works great on window mode, but when I switch to full screen, I get a DXTrace() error message box. I must say that if I choose not to debug (or running in release), it works perfectly in full-screen. I am getting the following traces: Direct3D9: (ERROR) :The specified mode is unsupported. CreateDevice/Reset Fails Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Unable to set the new mode. CreateDevice/Reset Fails Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Reset failed and Reset/TestCooperativeLevel/Release are the only legal APIs to be called subsequently ---------------------------------- I am performing a CheckDeviceFormat which return S_OK: D3DDISPLAYMODE DisplayMode; md3dObject->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &DisplayMode); HRESULT hr = md3dObject->CheckDeviceFormat(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, DisplayMode.Format, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DRTYPE_SURFACE, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8); if( FAILED(hr) ) { MessageBox(NULL,L"EEEEE!",L"Error!",MB_OK); return; } And than I am trying to switch to full-screen: int width = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN); int height = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN); md3dPP.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8; md3dPP.BackBufferWidth = width; md3dPP.BackBufferHeight = height; md3dPP.Windowed = false; md3dPP.hDeviceWindow = mhMainWnd; SetWindowLongPtr(mhMainWnd, GWL_style, WS_POPUP); SetWindowPos(mhMainWnd, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, width, height, SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_SHOWWINDOW); ------------------------------------- The actual error returns when I am trying to reset the device in the WNDPROC: case WM_SIZE: md3dPP.BackBufferWidth = LOWORD(lParam); md3dPP.BackBufferHeight = HIWORD(lParam); onLostDevice(); hr = gd3dDevice->Reset(&md3dPP); // <-- HERE!!! if(hr != S_OK){ /*DXTrace code*/ } onResetDevice(); return 0; -------------------------------------- Can anyone point out what am I doing wrong ?!?!?! I'm really stuck with it :-( . Thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisement
Hey, here is an update on what might cause the problem (but I still don't understand why it happens):

In the code:

case WM_SIZE:
md3dPP.BackBufferWidth = LOWORD(lParam);
md3dPP.BackBufferHeight = HIWORD(lParam);
onLostDevice();
hr = gd3dDevice->Reset(&md3dPP); // <-- HERE!!!
if(hr != S_OK){ /*DXTrace code*/ }
onResetDevice();
return 0;

The line "LOWORD(lParam)" return 900,
The line "HIWORD(lParam)" return 700,
While my full screen resolution is 1280x1024.

I put those lines in remark, and everything went smoothly (even resizing the window).

So I must admit I am a bit confused on, why do I need these lines?!

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!