Creating CD and DVD images

Started by
4 comments, last by krez 14 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know of a free (preferably cross platform) library I could use to generate ISO images from C++? My googling around turned up one that isn't free, and a whole bunch of message boards and such that make me suspect writing it from scratch would take me ages and probably be very buggy.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
I never did it, but the subject interest me and I searched a bit. Google for iso libs don't help much, so I checked what's available on the open source word. mkisofs seems to be the standard opensource application in most linux distribution to create iso files. You have the source, but can't use it directly as a library. Fortunately, I found bkisofs which is exactly a library doing it:
http://littlesvr.ca/isomaster/bkisofs-manual/c9.html

I downloaded the source and checked example.c, seems small and easy enough to use. You might have to change a few functions call to get it working on Windows, but shouldn't be too hard.
Well u could try my ISOGen.dll, i've build it to learn the format and because i couln'd find one on the net. It work very well and follow the ISO 9660 protocol. The only thing u cant make with it is .iso greater than 4go. Give it a try, i've included some help sample into the .zip too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rlnqrmhk14h
Thanks both of you, I'll check them out.

I did some more reading and apparently DVDs use UDF Bridge (and there seem to be variations of all of these too). What a headache. Basically I just want to be able to create images to be burned (to CD and / or DVD) or mounted (Daemon Tools or similar) from my own program, instead of using Nero or somesuch as a separate step.

Anyone have something similar for DVDs?
Is there a command-line application, or a command-line interface to Nero or other graphical tools? At least that way you could spawn a process for it and automate it.

Probably the easiest solution for yourself, but problematic if you want to distribute.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hmmm... it would appear that Nero does have a command line version that is pretty functional. Also, mkisofs apparently has a windows port. Either of these would probably work, although I hate the spawn-a-separate-process thing. Oh well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement