Vertex Buffer Object (VBO)

Started by
14 comments, last by Decibit 14 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by V-man
Since he is using glVertexPointer, he must use glEnableClientState.
If you use glVertexAttribPointer, then you call glEnableVertexAttribArray.
These things go in pairs.

If glEnableClientState is deprecated, then so is glVertexPointer. You are probably thinking of GL 3.0

That's correct.

Advertisement
Thanks!

I get it. So it seems like I am using deprecated functions. Are there any disadvantages by doing this. Everything seems to be working perfect.

If I use glVertexAttribPointer and glEnableVertexAttribArray does that mean it will not run on Hardware using lower than GL 3.0? Or is it backwards-compatible?

Regards
Quote:Original post by BSchoen
If I use glVertexAttribPointer and glEnableVertexAttribArray does that mean it will not run on Hardware using lower than GL 3.0? Or is it backwards-compatible?

You don't have to worry about it. Everything will work fine as the main hardware developers promise that they will never remove any of the old features: link.

Decibit, I think you might have gotten the question backwards, glVertexAttrib is the new feature, not the depreciated one.

Quote:

These functions are included in OpenGL 2.0 and above, and were probably extensions on cards before that. I think these should be OK on any cards from the last 5-7 years, maybe more.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Thanks karwosts, appreciate your reply. Then I'll think about rewriting that bit of code. Just to keep up-to-date :)

And Decibit, thanks anyway. You indeed misunderstood the question, or just messed up the mapping of the OpenGL version compared to the function names. But you've been a great help in this topic. Thanks!

Regards,

Bas
Quote:Original post by karwosts
Decibit, I think you might have gotten the question backwards, glVertexAttrib is the new feature, not the depreciated one.

I didn't mean any particular function just the fact that the complete set of functions will be there for a long long time. You are certainly right about glVertexAttrib.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement