Sign in to follow this  
way2lazy2care

Post Processing for beginners

Howdy. Does anyone know of any good tutorials/books/websites that go over programming in post processing techniques for rendering? I'm looking for more artistic type filters that I could put in a game, not simple things like AA or changing brightness/hue/etc. If anyone can link any good intros to get me started on the path, I'd appreciate it.

If someone want's a little more scope, this post was inspired by the Indie Developers Rant at GDC last year were someone wanted to look into non-realistic rendering techniques that aren't cell shading.

I was thinking it would be really cool to have a game that looked like a watercolor painting (I think it would be a really cool thing to see in 3D), and they brought up real time hatching.

Those are the kinds of resources I'm looking for.

Have you ever played or seen Valkyria Chronicles? Their "CANVAS engine" does exactly what you describe - makes the game look like a watercolor painting. It's a gorgeous effect, in my opinion, but sadly I can't find any info on it. It seems it was the result of internal development at SEGA. Maybe you can dig around there.