Sign in to follow this  
Somarl

NPC Voices

Is there a program available out there (i dont think there is but its worth a try) that can generate text to speech but in such an efficient way that it can be assigned to create hundreds (if not thousands) of different voices for assigning to npcs. Many games have the traditional voice acted 2 or 3 npcs and all the rest are exactly the same and even say the same. If you could mix up the sentences a little and give many different npc's different voices you would get a much richer world (as far as that is concerned). I have searched like a madman but all i keep coming up with is voice changing software which is no good for this purpose. Also most text to speech comes in about 4 voices and thats about it. How about something with a little emotion in it. Maybe it not only mixes up the sentences and structures them differently to add a little flavour which you can do programming side, but for even more if the npc is aggresive maybe he speaks to you like shit with more of an aggresive tone etc etc. If we are another ten years off seeing technology this good then fair play, voice actors it is then - and ill bide my time.

This recent article is of related interest but may not directly answer the question:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/288308

And this question would probably get better-informed answers in an audio forum. So I'm moving it.

Hey, i've thought about this idea before, but as you probably realized, most text to speech solutions just don't sound natural.

But if your scenario is very futuristic and we assume that most NPCs in your game are robots, you might get away with it and even create an authentic feel :-)

There are several free voice synthesizers in VSTi format that you could implement fairly easily using the Steinberg VST SDK.