Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tanczos

Testing image processing pixel shaders

I'm looking at trying to test out some pixel shaders for shader model 3 that will be used as full-screen post-processing filters. Does anybody know of some easy to use software that is designed to process images using custom hlsl shaders that I can use to test out my work? I used a WPF program called Shazzam but it only works with shader model 2.0.

Depending on what you are looking for I could put together an application in my engine (see link below) and add it to the source distribution if you are interested. If you can list the requirements then I could give you a fairly quick turnaround for getting something up and running. I'm looking for ways to gain exposure with the engine anyways, so this might work out for both of us...

The engine is D3D11 based, but I can easily compile for shader model 3. Let me know what you would like (even if you end up using something else) and I'll put it in action!

Hmmm. Unfortunately there isn't any clean solutions for text on D3D11 that I am aware of at the moment, and hence I don't have a complete editor capability [sad]. However, I can still start down that path and see where things end up. Making a image processing application was actually on my todo list, albeit it was more like a post processing application.

It sounds like pixel shaders are a desireable path, and of course with DX11 I will add in support for compute shaders. I suppose I could utilize GDI in a separate window to provide the text editor interface, which would actually not be too difficult to handle. For that matter, textures can be created as GDI compatible, so perhaps I'll add that in as a potential text solution for the engine.

So other than the editor functionality, and a realtime display of the results, what else would be useful to have in such an editor? Any wishlists of things that you want in it?