Sign in to follow this  
Hboybowen

Havok/Physx on Arma 2

Hey Im trying to find out if I can implement Havok Destruction or Physx in Arma 2 as a addon which is a popular war sim game. It allows dll binding where you can call functions implemented in a Windows DLL. How would I do this? I saw this tutorial http://piotrpluta.opol.pl/?p=106 but dunno how I would do a similar setup to get in working for a existing game in the form of dll binding in the use of object physics and destruction not for the entire environment if you understand my thinking. I would be happy if you could inform me on how I would go about doing that. Thanx Ahead of time ^_^

If you don't have the source code for Arma2, which I don't think you do, you almost certainly cannot do this. Just not possible.

To integrate Havok or PhysX into a game you need to fundamentally alter how the game itself is architected.

Unless Arma provides the capability of creating mods that give access to such low-level features of the engine, abandon all hope [smile]

-me

Right but the teamspeak mod sits on top of the game, it doesn't require that the internals of the game are any different. For games, a huge chunk of the code sits on top of the physics system. As such you cannot just put in a new physics system that sits on top of the game. Most of the internals of the game will have to be rewritten

In a fun metaphor, what the Teamspeak mod did was put a new antenna on top of an old house. What you want to do is replace the foundation of the house. The antenna is a simple job: climb up to the roof and bolt it down. The foundation requires that you first move or demolish the house and then demolish the old foundation, rebuild a new foundation and put the house back on top [smile].

With programming you can't replace foundations without access to the source code.

-me