Bad advice from me?

Started by
3 comments, last by Palidine 14 years, 1 month ago
In another thread about getting a job programming with just a GED, I gave some advice/thoughts relative to what I've experienced. However I noticed that my rating went down twice soon afterward by just a little bit. This isn't about that per-se though - I was actually wondering if it's because I gave bad advice and shouldn't say it to anyone else? Here is my response:
Quote:Original post by popsoftheyear From what I understand you won't likely find one in the game industry without said requirements (portfolio, preferably CS degree of some kind, etc). Your best chance is to look on Craigs List or in the local newspaper for those jobs that are in niche areas. I've had 2 of them, and I have no college education PLUS a felony record. Now there was definitely a bit of the Lord's blessing involved in this, so I can't claim credit for doing something of my own merit, but the point is it's certainly possible. As an example, the 2 jobs I had were for a psychologist working on some 10 year old and running software that is used for treating children with certain disorders, and working on R&D stuff with EEG and what not. That ended abrubtly partially because he has his own problems and most because I had my own problems and tended to have a nasty outlook on life and attitude in general (moreso than I do now). He sells his software a few thousand dollars a license. The 2nd job I had and still have is in the field of microbiology, working with a certain software that interacts with those 10s and 100s thousands dollar microscopes and analyzes data, takes measurements, etc. This software also sells for thousands of dollars a license but really it is small potatoes compared to the systems people are buying for it anyway. It's not that it's that difficult to do, it's more about convincing them that you are what/who they want, and stumbling/being guided to the right place. Last note is that unlike the game programming business (or so I hear), demand is high and at least the 2 places I've been they have consistently had a VERY hard time finding ANYONE - which is definitely a large part of why I would have gotten hired. On the other hand there are times I wish I had a CS degree (though at this point with a family and currently stable job it's not viable), simply because there are things I've noticed you'll learn that will be very beneficial down the line. Not that you can't learn them on your own, but sometimes when on your own you don't know WHAT to go and teach yourself. Good luck and God bless!
So... not a good idea?
Advertisement
I apologize if this sounds attacky. It's definitely not meant to be; I'm in a blunt mood [smile]

So I had to look at the original thread because the post you quoted doesn't really make any sense. With context it makes a little more sense, but it's still difficult to parse out what you're actually trying to say.

Here's my summary of what i think you said:

- It's unlikely that you'll get a job in the game industry without a CS degree
- If you want a job you're better off at looking for weird niche jobs that are in high demand but have a low supply of workers.
- Seems like you're reccommending that he go back and get a proper CS degree

if I correctly parsed the advice you were trying to give it seems like totally correct advice to me.

Anyway... My best guesses as to why you got downrated:

1) you brought up the christian god in a context where it wasn't relevant to the audience and probably annoyed people
2) it was unclear what advice you were giving: the composition of your post's ideas was somewhat muddy

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Anyway... My best guesses as to why you got downrated:

1) you brought up the christian god in a context where it wasn't relevant to the audience and probably annoyed people
2) it was unclear what advice you were giving: the composition of your post's ideas was somewhat muddy

-me

Bingo
Quote:Original post by Palidine
So I had to look at the original thread because the post you quoted doesn't really make any sense. With context it makes a little more sense, but it's still difficult to parse out what you're actually trying to say.

Thank you for doing that. Yeah I tend to have trouble conveying thoughts clearly much of the time it seems, and yet use a whole lot of words to do it. Thanks again (to you both). :)
Quote:Original post by popsoftheyear
Thank you for doing that. Yeah I tend to have trouble conveying thoughts clearly much of the time it seems, and yet use a whole lot of words to do it. Thanks again (to you both). :)

We had a lead designer on an old title I worked on that refused to accept emails from people if:

1) the email wasn't written in bullet points
2) it had more than 10 bullet points
3) any bullet point contained more than one sentence

I find myself organizing so many of my posts/emails that way now [smile]

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement