Sign in to follow this  
schupf

File structure/Terrain editor

Hello, I am currently writing on a terrain/outdoor editor and now I am wondering how I store the created terrains. Right now I have only implemented the terrain editing, but in the near future my editor will also be able to create a sky, water, camera paths and many more features. How would you guys store all this different stuff? Would you create one big (binary?) file structure to store everything (heightmap, textures, splines for camera path, course of day parameters etc. etc.) or would you create several files (for example one for the heightmap, one for layers, one for the sky...) and maybe combine them to a .pak? Does anyone know how other editors (Sandbox2, Battlefield2 editor etc.) store their levels? Thanks for any help!

The answer of course is it's totally up to you. What goes in the same or different files depends on the considerations your own game engine. From what you described I would say throw everything into one file. With your terrain editor if users of the program wanted to load another persons terrain, it would be un-becoming for them to have to transfer and place more than one file right?