Sign in to follow this  
stickler

Developing for Iphone Apps

Hello there - I would like to start developing games for Iphone. I was wondering if anyone knows of any non-heavy coding software around? Ive used game development tools like AGS, am reasonably au fair with coding in Flash. If anything similar, would love to know! PS Im new so be kind hehe!

This is something im looking into a bit now as I have a mac. The idea is to get the iphone sdk. It has tools and so forth for building a GUI. In terms of building a game, I imagine there's a decent amount of code behind it required. AFAIK, coding for the iphone is done in objective-c

Quote:
Original post by DaedalusOwnsYou
The operating system API is objective-c, but there is nothing stopping you from just using C or C++ for your game code. If you want to play with something specifically designed for games, take a look at Unity. They have an iPhone publishing option.

You could also try https://www.airplaysdk.com/airplayforiphone.php > its free if you make less than $100,000 a year with your apps for iphone afterthat there is a licence fee. I have only installed configured and did a hello world app in it so cant vouch for it.

Kind Regards
David

Quote:
Original post by AJirenius
You mention that you are familiar with flash and AS3?

You know that iPhone development is coming to CS5, right?

Yeah, I was going to suggest just waiting for CS5 also.
Adobe® Flash® Professional CS5 will include a Packager for iPhone that will let you publish ActionScript 3 projects to run as native applications for iPhone. These applications can be delivered to iPhone users through the Apple App Store.*
I'm currently taking an IPhone programming class and Objective-C is no walk in the park if you are coming from Actionscript. You can bypass a lot of it like Carmack did with Wolfenstein iphone port but you can't avoid it completely unless you use some 3rd part software like Unity for iphone.

Quote:
Original post by AJirenius
You mention that you are familiar with flash and AS3?

You know that iPhone development is coming to CS5, right?

I had no idea!

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks everyone else for your replies, all very useful!