Advice for starting artist

Started by
3 comments, last by Antheus 14 years, 1 month ago
I could really use some advice from some of you experenced artist. My 22 year old nephew recently come to stay with me for a while and I am trying to help him out and improve his life. Hes never had any formal art training and has worked as a construction day worker all his life. I have helped him get his Ged and the things i know how to do he wants to get into graphic art. He has alot of raw talent for drawing I think. But this isnt a my rich uncle story so I need to help what direction to kick him towards without it breaking me . So anyway here is my questions I bought him one of those drawing tablet things and it came with corel painter essentials. Will this software do the job to teach him? Or do i have to go broke buying a copy of adobe photoshop? Also does he have to go into college or are there like apprenticeship programs like electricians have for example for this field? Here is one of his drawing I scaned if i did the link thing right i think its pretty good for never having a single art class? But maybe i am just biased and my time would be better spent getting him in a traditional trade?Any advice would be appreciated! This is a field i know nothing about. http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/bdail/angel.jpg
Advertisement
If he honestly drew that from scratch without any art training, that is raw talent right there. I doub't you need to do much to help him, except encourage him to keep drawing all the time.

Oh, check out a program called ArtRage http://www.artrage.com/

I wish I could draw that good.
Thanks i will look into that for him. He droped out in like the ninth grade and has been doing construction work from then on to help suport his younger brother and sister. He likes to draw for fun because it relaxes him he says. I could teach him anything he wanted to know about working in a factory but this art is all new to me. All i know about art is the term starving artist so i know hes got to learn to do it online if he has a prayer of making anything in it but I really dont know how to get him started. Without geting out the wallet anyway and there isnt 50k in there for art school
Cool that you're trying to help him. Art training can greatly help, although it's more like opening your eyes and mindset for creativity instead of perfecting the "basics" (drawing, modelling, sketching, ...). At least, that is what I know from friends who did art academy.

Someone with talent can learn this him/herself, if the motivation is really there. Your nephew seems to have that talent, now it's a matter of making good use of it and finding out where's his real interests are. Having something that he loves can greatly improve the motivation. Being a skilled artist is talent + LOTS of practicing after all.

Most people don't learn drawing because they simply don't know what to draw, so there is no motivation. I can draw pretty good myself, but only a few times a year (making Steven Seagall, Sadam Hussain or Paul Teutel portraits as birthday presents for friends). So I'll never reach the state of a real pro. But if you two can find something where the heart is... Some people love comics, others go out on the bike and pick a spot to draw a landscape. Yet another person is into technique or sci-fi and uses that as a platform for its creativity. People here ussually love to draw/model game maps, monsters, characters or animations. It could be anything. Try to find that out, then focus on it with the pencil, clay, glue&sciccors or computer programs.

If that works out, you could try to shape it into a (small) project. Things are extra fun if you can make practical use of it. For example, make a big wall painting in your bedroom. Create a series of things to decorate your house. Write a story with pictures. Make wedding cards for a family member. Join a game MOD/offer help to a game project. Or something I always liked, build a miniature city :)

Good luck, and again, good thing that you're helping! Many talent is wasted unfortunately.
Get involved here. It's the de facto site for artists.

You'll also be able to get considerable informed feedback.

Quote:starving artist

Art for the sake of art doesn't earn money.

But there is still "industrial" art that needs to be produced, but that means designing to spec and style.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement