Seeking Advice or Tips about starting a Creative/Game development Business

Started by
9 comments, last by yaustar 14 years, 1 month ago
Greetings guys, New member here. First of all, I must apologize in advance if my English sounds a bit off; since it'a not my native language, but I'm seeking advice and useful tips about entering the creative/Gaming industry from the industry enthusiasts/professionals like yourselves and I will need any help you guys can provide.. I've been working on starting my own Game development/creative studio for the past 3 months, and I've been researching all the possible aspects regarding this matter, however I need to know more details about the software, hardware, companies culture, sales and projects management tools used by the people who are actually in this business for some time.. I'm thinking about getting in the fields of advertisement, Designing Services, Multimedia production, 2D and 3D animation and most importantly video game production. What are the best kinds/brands of tools and techniques should I get/use for: Creative/design projects management systems Software development projects management systems Advertisements productions tools (Software and Hardware) 2D & 3D Animation tools (Software and Hardware) Video Games Software Development tools (PC, PS3, Xbox360 and Mobile games) Any Useful Corporate software tools for this business Recognizing talented people who can deliver real results I know I sound like an ignorant idiot for going into a business I know nothing off .. yet! But I got the passion for it and I've been dreaming about opening a business like that since my childhood and I'm a fast learner and a natural leader! :) Thanks in advance for your help and advice guys, and please feel free to suggest any kind of books or knowledge that are related to my request.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by TeraNova
But I got the passion for it and I've been dreaming about opening a business like that....

A passion for what exactly? Your questions indicate that you have zero knowledge of the game development process. How can you be passionate about something you know nothing about? What is it you expect to be doing every day at work?

What sort of games do you intend to develop?
How much money do you have to invest in the business?
What experience do you have running a creative business?

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
LOL I understand how this is going to look like; and I knew what kind of replys I'm going to receive when I posted this thread here, this whole matter is a bit vague around the edges to me at the moment, but I'm a hardcore gamer myself and I also studied programming as my main major at college for 4 years, I also have 4 years of actual experience in working within international software companies and done my fair share of managing creative projects, I've also worked in web development/ multimedia related projects.

I have enough money to start up a small business (6-7 employees), most of my money are personal savings, and I'm working on raising more funds just in case, right now I'm thinking of small scale projects to start things up (to be published via digital distribution channels), I haven't start thinking about the kind of games I want to made but I'm going to work on that soon (I'm thinking something fresh and artistic).

My problem is I need MORE knowledge about this business, I need to know the tools and procedures on how things are done proper, finish the projects and tasks fast and effectively and how to headhunt talented people, see my previous reply for details..

Thanks for your patience guys. :)
I'm thinking of small scale projects to start things up (to be published via digital distribution channels), I haven't start thinking about the kind of games I want to made but I'm going to work on that soon (I'm thinking something fresh and artistic).

We still need to know more. What type of games are you going to be developing? What are you aiming for long term? Which specific distribution channels are you looking at using? Where is your area of expertise? How long do you have before you run out of money (ie How long is your development timeframe(s))?

Depending on these factors (any many others), your total cost can be anywhere between nearly 0 to 6/7 figures to actually finish.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Let's see:

1- Right now I'm thinking of point and click adventure games, horror games or RPG with action elements games.

2- For the long run I'm thinking of expanding the titles to PC and consoles.

3- I'm thinking mobile games, PSN, XBL or Steam

4- I will be responsible for the art direction, game designing and managing the project and coordinating with both the development and Art teams

5- My money can last for about 2 years (with investors it may last more), the working force here is much cheaper than US or UK; and I can find talented people with low salaries. :)
1. 2D? 3D? Have you researched the market? Who is your target audience? Expected sales? How long do you expect to be in development for per game?

2 + 3. Which mobile platforms? PSN and XBLA require you to be an official developer with to get access to buy the devkits which sit around the mid 4 figure price range each. There are also very strict TRCs and processes you need to go through before they approve it.

Are you planning to have the same game running across all platforms or a different one for each 'generation' of platforms?

Additional questions? Are you planning to have a an office space or purely online team? Permanent or contract positions?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I'm thinking about getting in the fields of advertisement, Designing Services, Multimedia production, 2D and 3D animation and most importantly video game production.

The way to get the job is to do the job.
Create ads. Produce multimedia. Animate. Make some small games.
Nobody's going to hire your company to do these things until you have shown that you can do it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by yaustar
1. 2D? 3D? Have you researched the market? Who is your target audience? Expected sales? How long do you expect to be in development for per game?

2 + 3. Which mobile platforms? PSN and XBLA require you to be an official developer with to get access to buy the devkits which sit around the mid 4 figure price range each. There are also very strict TRCs and processes you need to go through before they approve it.

Are you planning to have the same game running across all platforms or a different one for each 'generation' of platforms?

Additional questions? Are you planning to have a an office space or purely online team? Permanent or contract positions?

Hmmm, these are very good legit questions, you gave me something to think about.. Is there any resources you recommend to read about this (online or books)?

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
I'm thinking about getting in the fields of advertisement, Designing Services, Multimedia production, 2D and 3D animation and most importantly video game production.

Nobody's going to hire your company to do these things until you have shown that you can do it.

Well, I do have a solid portfolio, and I did some serious freelancing projects back in my day. ;)
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper

I did some serious freelancing projects back in my day. ;)

Yeah, but what have you done lately? (Don't answer that, it's "rhetorical.") I repeat: The way to get the job is to do the job, now.
Create ads. Produce multimedia. Animate. Make some small games. Now. Not in the past.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement