Sign in to follow this  
ryan009ryan

3D models software

Well, every 3d modelling tool will be suitable, it all depends on the requirements, file format, exporter support etc.

Most common 3d modelling tools are 3d studio (max), maya, xsi which are all commercial tools, and of course blender3d one of the free tools. Alls these tools are used in game production.

Quote:
Original post by ryan009ryan
Is blender software or MS3D output models file can be imported in opengl or directx ? I just started to write game mudule.

OpenGL itself doesn't provide anything to actually load and parse 3D object files. I don't know Direct-X very well at all, but I *believe* that it only has support for importing its own 3D format (.x files).

In short, you'll probably have to write your own import code unless you're happy to find a 3D editor that can export .x files and go with Direct-X.

Of course, for loading other formats, there are lots of libraries you can leverage e.g. FCollada for Collada files, and so on.

XNA supports .x files as well as .fbx files. FBX files are supported under both 3D Studio Max and Maya (not sure about Blender).

[EDIT]
It appears that Blender does have an FBX exporter. So if you are using/going to use XNA it's safe to stick with .X and .FBX file formats.