Sign in to follow this  
jajce85

newline character not recognised by visual studio

Hi, in Visual Studio 2008 whenever I add a newline character to a character array, say for example: char* c= "abc\n"; the newline at the end always gets read as an unknown value (square text visualizer i.e. "abc[]"). It this a unicode problem maybe?, because I am compiling using multi-byte character set. Thanks [Edited by - jajce85 on March 6, 2010 3:58:22 AM]

Where are you seeing it as a square? If you're looking at it in the watch window, that's because the watch window is only a single line, so it'll show it as a non-printable character.

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
On windows \n isn't a line terminator lines are terminated by \r\n. Depending on where you are putting the \n it might work and it might not.

That answer is too generic. On Windows, except when dealing with files in binary mode, '\n' is just that, '\n' ... a single character (or code point, if we're talking UNICODE). Feel free to correct me, anyone.

Some of the displays in Visual Studio just show newline characters as squares. That's just the way it is. Don't worry about it, your newline character is in there alright. :)