Advices for a C++ beginner

Started by
7 comments, last by Codarki 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I have learned standard C before, and a bit of C++ too, and now i decided to learn C++ finally. I would like to get some advices. First i need to choose a developing environment. I would like to use such a free IDE like Netbeans for java, its important for me that it should contain a GUI builder, where i can edit my stuff visually. What tool do you recommend ( apart from Visual Studio express versions ) ? Is there a free visual editor for C++ ? And i will also need some tutorials. Is there some what you recommend, where from you can learn fast? Thanks in advance!
Woo haa!
Advertisement
Visual C++ Express Edition is by far the best for a beginner. Is there a reason you don't want to use it? If you plan to develop on Linux I can understand, but if you're on Windows, I can't think of a really good reason to avoid Visual Studio
For a tutorial on Cpp: Read this

But for tutorials Google is your best friend. You should be able to find good ones with not much troubles...
__________________________Lovens "CAPONE" WecheProgrammer
Quote:
its important for me that it should contain a GUI builder, where i can edit my stuff visually. What tool do you recommend ( apart from Visual Studio express versions ) ?

"GUI builders" are associated with the API providing your GUI infrastructure, not C++ itself. There are no "visual C++ editors" because it's not a visually-oriented development language (the name of Microsoft's excellent IDEs notwithstanding).

You should use Visual C++ Express, because it is free an top notch. Once you select a windowing framework (such as wxWidgets) you could use the editors for that framework to build GUIs.

That said, C++ isn't necessarily the language I'd recommend for building GUI applications, and all the GUI building toolkits in the world won't get you terribly far if you want to make games. If indeed all you want to make are GUI applications, look into things like wxWidgets or Qt or perhaps consider an alternative language (such as C#, which lets you use Windows Forms and the reasonably decent forms editor in the Visual Studio packages).
Well, to be fair, he didn't say he's using Windows.

FYI, in case you didn't realize it, Netbeans has a C/C++ pack with a Qt GUI builder. For other IDEs with GUI builders, see Wikipedia's comparison page.
Thanks for the replys guys. I thought there was such a framework for c++ as it is for java. I think then i try it with netbeans, at least i know that in some degree. What library do you recommend for GUI building?
Woo haa!
google teach your self C++ in 21 days it is very helpful with learning the basics then just go the MSDN site for reference.
Qt comes with a cross-platform IDE including a GUI designer, a massive C++ class library, and loads of documentation and examples.
________________________________Blog...
Aside of the GUI issue, and for others who find this thread, by far the best resource online for C++ is in my opinion C++ FAQ Lite. Starting from section 6 it should be pretty simple for anyone knowing C already. And eventually understanding all the stuff from there places you above beginner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement