Sign in to follow this  
Fragsta

[web] Python Web Template Framework (a la Smarty)

Hi there, I've recently developed a complex text retrieval system in Python which stores data collected and the results of various processes in a MySQL database, and I wish to have some sort of web interface for the data. Since classes already exist which allow the retrieval and representation of the data from the database, naturally I thought about generating the website using Python. I've never done anything like it with Python before but I'd heard of Django so I thought I'd give it a go. I can't decide whether it's suitable, however, because based on the tutorials it seems like I will have to re-create models to represent the data I need, but they already exist, just not in the same format Django uses - Django seems to have some kind of MVC thing going on and I don't know if it's really appropriate. What I'm looking for is something as simple as the PHP Smarty template engine, separating the data processing from the display. Is Django capable of something as simple as that? If not, what would people recommend I do here? I could just go ahead and make some simple models in PHP but processing is still required and it feels like I'd be repeating myself a lot. Many thanks!

Genshi, Kid, Mako, Cheetah... stick them and "template" into Google to get relevant links.

However, unless you already have a web stack ready to serve up your pages, you probably would be better served by using something like Django, although a more low level approach would probably be better, eg. via Turbogears, or bare Pylons, or Web.py, or... (there's a lot of this about, as you may have guessed by now).