Sign in to follow this  
mwowm

How much did Second Life cost to develop?

I'm trying to find out how much Second Life cost to develop, but I can't seem to find the information anywhere. It's an interesting situation, because it was released as a "game" with no actual content (since the users create the content themselves). On the other hand, the 3D tools for creating content gives it some real pro-software-like features. Does anyone have any idea how much Linden Labs spent to get this thing live? I'm not so much interested in how much they spent after it went live - just how much money it took to develop it in the first place. Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by mwowm
I'm trying to find out how much Second Life cost to develop, but I can't seem to find the information anywhere.
What do you want the information for? As yaustar stated, the information likely isn't available (at least directly), but even if it was available, it might have limited applicability.

If you are looking into the cost to create a competing system, keep in mind that the costs to develop a competitor now are likely to be very different than the costs to develop second life initially. For one thing, second life has evolved quite dramatically since its initial launch, and for another, both technology and the economy have changed significantly since the 2002.

You can get a low-end inaccurate ballpark estimate by multiplying the average starting salary for the possible number of employees they have over the time of development of the product though.

Also there is a book out titled the Making of Second Life, that may help you.