Sign in to follow this  
Andy474

3D Games and Heightmaps

Hey guys, umm i'm not sure if this is the right forum however: I am Thinking about making a 3D Game in XNA or with Direct X (haven't Decided) however I wanted to know what the best of of creating and loading in/managing a 3D world with objects? My First thought is Heightmaps - these seems a good idea however is there a free-easy tool to create them? or is there a better way? Second how do i handle the In-Game Objects like building etc? I was thinking prehaps a file e.g.:
<World Name="">
<HeightMap  Path="" />

<WorldObjects>
<Object Name=" File="" Position="(X,Y)" />
</WorldOBjects>
</World>

this would allow me to load in this file and allow flexibility to the position etc. or is it better just to hard code them in? Thanks for any Replys ;)

Quote:
Original post by Andy474
I am Thinking about making a 3D Game in XNA or with Direct X (haven't Decided) however I wanted to know what the best of of creating and loading in/managing a 3D world with objects?

My First thought is Heightmaps - these seems a good idea however is there a free-easy tool to create them? or is there a better way?
A world is far more than a heightmap, please consider elaborating your question in a better way.
To a certain degree, The GIMP will allow you to do heightmaps pretty easily, if you can visualize them. Maybe you'll want something more, say with realtime on-the-fly preview. There's some part of technology-specific behaviour here.
Quote:
Original post by Andy474
Second how do i handle the In-Game Objects like building etc?
I was thinking prehaps a file e.g.:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

this would allow me to load in this file and allow flexibility to the position etc. or is it better just to hard code them in?
You must be joking. Go for the best file format you can figure out and let the data-driven design do the work for you.

Or yes, hardcode it. I look forward to see you hand-coding tens, if not hundreds of entities for each level and interconnecting them to provide the proper behaviour. Sure, no one forbids you to write a program that generates the code to do that but come on, why to mess your head that way?