Review my game dev project - www.freeciv.net

Started by
6 comments, last by roeschdal 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone! I would really like some feedback from the users of this forum about my current project: www.freeciv.net. Freeciv.net is a multiplayer strategy game, playable in a web browser. Here is a small screenshot of the game: I would like some feedback about these things: - What do you think could be improved in the game? - How is the performance in your web browser? - Should I make a Silverlight or Flash version of the game instead? If so, Flash or Silverlight? - How can I make the project profitable? Currently, the hosting on Amazon Ec2 costs quite a lot in server and bandwidth costs. Thanks in advance! Andreas Roeschdal
Advertisement
I haven't tried it, but it looks good!

Is it possible to test the single-player version without creating an account? (Not that it's a big deal - just wondering.)
Quote:Original post by roeschdal
- How can I make the project profitable? Currently, the hosting on Amazon Ec2 costs quite a lot in server and bandwidth costs.
First, you should get in touch with Firaxis to see what they think, if they're willing to give you some help or a shout out or anything, etc. After that...ads?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
- How can I make the project profitable? Currently, the hosting on Amazon Ec2 costs quite a lot in server and bandwidth costs.
First, you should get in touch with Firaxis to see what they think, if they're willing to give you some help or a shout out or anything, etc. After that...ads?

Thanks for the advice. The site already has almost too much ads, and it covers about 40% of the costs. So I'll have to think of something better, if the project is going to continue.

Any shout-outs would be appreciated, even from gamedev.net :-)
Quote:Freeciv.net is an open source project, released under the GNU General Public License. The project is a fork of the C server from Freeciv.org, which has origins back to 1996. The idea of creating a version for Freeciv which would be playable online in a browser came about some time in 2007, and this project has evolved into what it is now since then.

Freeciv.net requires a browser which supports HTML5 canvas, and a fast computer and internet connection.

There we go. Wasn't really clear from your forum post here what exactly you'd done. :)
It's too big, I have to scroll down a little to get to the chat box.

It shows plain black for me. All I see is the top navigation, a message indicating the current turn number, then a lot of black then the chatbox and the small icons next to it.

The turns are going up but all I see is black even if I refresh.

I'm using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP.

You may be able to help offset those some via donations, especially if you can incentivize people with some sort of subscriber/donater-only features or something. Custom tilesets? Perhaps only subscribers can start games -- others can only join them?

I'm not interested in creating an account to test this out personally, but I have played freeciv some.
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey

You may be able to help offset those some via donations, especially if you can incentivize people with some sort of subscriber/donater-only features or something. Custom tilesets? Perhaps only subscribers can start games -- others can only join them?

I'm not interested in creating an account to test this out personally, but I have played freeciv some.

Thanks for the advice. I have now setup donations based on the sourceforge project page. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Does anyone in this project have any experiences from similar projects?
Any advice?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement