"Official" name of the beginning logo screens

Started by
10 comments, last by samanime 14 years, 1 month ago
Not sure if this is the best forum or not, but... Does anyone know the "official" name for the screens that appear when you first start a game that have all of the company logos on them? Do they even have an official name? Thanks.
Advertisement
Splash Screen?
Hmmm, pretty close.

Anyone else know of any term that's closer.
I've always called them splash screens, if you're not happy with that I've also heard them called 'boot screens'.
How about opening credits?
They were called splash screens on the last game i worked on.
I call them:

Logo screens
Title screen
Intro cinematic
Sample gameplay

The whole thing that keeps repeating until you press Start (which may or may not include logo screens) I call either "attract mode" or "attract cycle" or "shell" or "front end" or "power-on sequence" or "upfront marquee"...

There is no one universally-agreed-upon term.
You get to decide what to call it in your GDD.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yeah, I think I will go with Splash Screen.

I was calling them "Honorable Mentions", which is just way too long. =p

Thanks.
Splash Screen usually refers to the one main or first screen that tells you what you are booting ... it was used to give feedback to the user since some programs (like Word, Access, etc) take a while to load up and be usable.

The extra screens that games now show ... like the AMD / Nvidia and Miles Sound System screens are almost all either Advertisements (AMD/Intel/vidia) and/or Credits (Miles Sound System / Havok Physics). And also of course games show the publisher, developer and sometimes other Logo / Trademark / Credit screens (like movies do).

All of these things could be grouped together as the Intro Screens, Intro Credits, etc. Or some better name I haven't yet thought of :).
legals or legal screens is the term ive seen used at the company I work for.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement