Setting up classes

Started by
1 comment, last by prgcrs 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello programmers! I am able to program somewhat but I have never really had a good design when it comes to creating classes. I have seen various ways people use. I would like to know if I am on the right track or if I am making things too complicated. Here is what I have thought of: 2 global classes CApp g_CApp; CGame g_CGame; (inside CApp is an instance of a seperate class "CDirect3d", which initialises d3d and holds the pointer to the d3d device) WinMain { create window, pass the HWND handle to g_CApp.SetWindowHandle() call g_CApp.Init() to initialise the direct3d class pass pointers over to the game class: g_CGame.SetDirect3DDevice(g_CApp.CDirect3d.GetDirect3DDevice() ) while g_CApp.IsRunning() { // do windows stuff etc g_CGame.MainLoop() .. now this class can access pDirect3DDevice->Clear(..) etc.. } } Does that seem like the correct way to split my functions up in to classes? Thanks for looking :)
Advertisement
The last game i worked on did something similar to what i have done in my own engine which in turn is pretty similar to what you have done. The main difference being that i instantiate an Engine class and set everything up through that.

Here is the main.cpp of an example Win32 application i hacked together the other day to test my engine out:

#include <Windows.h>#include <mmsystem.h>#include <d3dx9.h>#pragma warning( disable : 4996 ) // disable deprecated warning #include <strsafe.h>#pragma warning( default : 4996 )#include <Lugru.h>Lugru::Engine*	g_pEngine( NULL );//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------// Name: MsgProc()// Desc: The window's message handler//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------LRESULT WINAPI MsgProc( HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam ){	switch( msg )	{	case WM_DESTROY:		g_pEngine->Stop();		Sleep(100);		g_pEngine->CleanUp();		PostQuitMessage( 0 );		return 0;	}	//	We don't want the engine to handle messages until it exists!	if ( g_pEngine != NULL )	{		Lugru::Engine::AppWndProc( hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam );	}	return DefWindowProc( hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam );}//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------// Name: WinMain()// Desc: The application's entry point//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------INT WINAPI wWinMain( HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE, LPWSTR CommandLine, INT Count){	// Register the window class	WNDCLASSEX wc =	{		sizeof( WNDCLASSEX ), CS_CLASSDC, MsgProc, 0L, 0L,		GetModuleHandle( NULL ), NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,		L"LugruTestApplication", NULL	};	RegisterClassEx( &wc );	// Create the application's window	HWND hWnd = CreateWindow( L"LugruTestApplication", L"D3D Tutorial 06: Meshes",		WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, 100, 100, 1280, 1024,		NULL, NULL, wc.hInstance, NULL );	DWORD a = GetLastError();	// Show the window	ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_SHOWDEFAULT );	UpdateWindow( hWnd );	g_pEngine = new Lugru::Engine();	g_pEngine->SetWindowHandle( hWnd );	SetCurrentDirectoryA("F:/Dev/Lugru/Resources");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$ENGINE_EFFECTS", "Effects");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$ENGINE_MODELS", "Models");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$ENGINE_TEXTURES", "Textures");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$EFFECTS", "Effects");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$MODELS", "Models");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$TEXTURES", "Textures");	Lugru::Path::AddSymbolSubstitution("$SCENES", "Scenes");	g_pEngine->Initialise();	g_pEngine->SetStandaloneInput(true);	if ( Count == 1 )	{		std::wstring Path(CommandLine);		std::string narrow( Path.begin(), Path.end() );		if ( narrow.length() > 0 )		{			Lugru::SceneLoader( Lugru::Path(narrow), *g_pEngine->GetSceneGraph(), *g_pEngine->GetRenderer(), *g_pEngine->GetGame() );			Sleep(1000);			g_pEngine->GetGame()->StartGame();		}	}	// Enter the message loop	MSG msg;	ZeroMemory( &msg, sizeof( msg ) );	while( msg.message != WM_QUIT )	{		if( PeekMessage( &msg, NULL, 0U, 0U, PM_REMOVE ) )		{			TranslateMessage( &msg );			DispatchMessage( &msg );		}		else		{			g_pEngine->Frame();		}	}	UnregisterClass( L"LugruTestApplication", wc.hInstance );	return 0;}

Hope that is useful,
Thanks for your reply Dave, thats reassuring.

I guess I thought that globals in C++ was frowned upon :)

I'll keep at it in the direction I'm going.

Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement