[SlimDX] Problems Creating InputLayout in DirectX 11

Started by
9 comments, last by Erik Rufelt 14 years, 1 month ago
I'm using the MiniTri D3D11 sample that's in the repository (DX11 branch), I've updated all of the code to match the changes made since that was written and the latest SDK (Feb 2010). I'm having difficulty creating an InputLayout from the MiniTri.fx vertex shader however. Relevant code is below:
string errors;

using (D3D11.ShaderBytecode vsShaderByte = D3D11.ShaderBytecode.CompileFromFile("MiniTri.fx", "VS", "vs_4_0", SlimDX.Direct3D11.ShaderFlags.None, SlimDX.Direct3D11.EffectFlags.None, null, null, out errors))
{
    VertexShader = new SlimDX.Direct3D11.VertexShader(Device, vsShaderByte);
    D3D11.ShaderSignature s = D3D11.ShaderSignature.GetInputSignature(vsShaderByte);
    Layout = new D3D11.InputLayout(Device, s, inputElements);
}

The code breaks on the "Layout = ..." line, with the following error in my output window:
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateInputLayout: Encoded Signature size doesn't match specified size. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #161: CREATEINPUTLAYOUT_UNPARSEABLEINPUTSIGNATURE ]
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what that means, and Google hasn't been too helpful so far either. For reference, the MiniTri.fx file is as follows:
struct VS_IN
{
	float4 pos : POSITION;
	float4 col : COLOR;
};

struct PS_IN
{
	float4 pos : SV_POSITION;
	float4 col : COLOR;
};

PS_IN VS( VS_IN input )
{
	PS_IN output = (PS_IN)0;

output.pos = input.pos;
	output.col = input.col;

return output;
}

float4 PS( PS_IN input ) : SV_Target
{
	return input.col;
}

technique10 Render
{
	pass P0
	{
		SetGeometryShader( 0 );
		SetVertexShader( CompileShader( vs_4_0, VS() ) );
		SetPixelShader( CompileShader( ps_4_0, PS() ) );
	}
}

[Edited by - adt7 on March 7, 2010 2:11:46 PM]
Advertisement
Still no joy on this. I realise I left out the contents of the inputElements variable in my above post:

D3D11.InputElement[] inputElements = new SlimDX.Direct3D11.InputElement[]                        {                                new D3D11.InputElement("POSITION",0,DXGI.Format.R32G32B32A32_Float,0,0),                                new D3D11.InputElement("COLOR",0,DXGI.Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,16,0)                        };[/lang]
Does your effect file perhaps have a Unicode encoding? That always causes all sorts of strange errors to occur.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Newbie here so please beware of the advice :p.

But isn't DXGI.Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm an integer format?
and your color is actually a float4?

Shouldn't it be DXGI.Format.R32G32B32A32_Float in your InputElements?

edit:
ie:
new D3D11.InputElement("COLOR",0,DXGI.Format.R32G32B32A32_Float,16,0)
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
Does your effect file perhaps have a Unicode encoding? That always causes all sorts of strange errors to occur.

Nope. It's copied straight from the repository.

I've tried saving one out from Notepad with ANSI encoding and still the same problem.

Don't Unicode .fx files normally throw errors at compile time? Rather than when using the result of the compile?

Quote:Original post by LostIchi
Newbie here so please beware of the advice :p.

But isn't DXGI.Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm an integer format?
and your color is actually a float4?

Shouldn't it be DXGI.Format.R32G32B32A32_Float in your InputElements?

edit:
ie:
new D3D11.InputElement("COLOR",0,DXGI.Format.R32G32B32A32_Float,16,0)

I thought that might be a problem (not that it should be) and have tried this already, same deal.

This is frustrating the hell out of me now.

Someone must be using DirectX 11 with SlimDX, or it must have at least been tested by the SlimDX guys.

Is there not an updated MiniTri sample for DirectX 11 out there?

How else am I meant to create a valid ShaderSignature to be used to generate an InputLayout without using the Effects framework from SlimDX.Direct3D10?

EDIT: The files I'm working with can be found here.

[Edited by - adt7 on March 8, 2010 5:16:06 AM]
Quote:Original post by adt7
Is there not an updated MiniTri sample for DirectX 11 out there?

Yes, it is indeed a shame that there isn't a MiniTri11 example included in the SlimDX SDK. I think its pretty essential.
I've updated MiniTri10 to work with DX11. You can find it here:

http://pastebin.com/xW21pnG4

Just use the FX file from the MiniTri10 example.
Thanks a lot for that. Rating++.

I didn't realise that using "dummy" in the Effect constructor would allow you to compile a SlimDX.Direct11.Effect, I simply saw the parameter and figured it was the same as when compiling a Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader separately and that didn't work when I tried it.

Now to get on with some actual work!

Although this still doesn't solve the fact that the InputLayout ctor is throwing up an error with what should be valid input.

[Edited by - adt7 on March 8, 2010 9:34:20 AM]
Apologies for bumping this again, but I'm hoping it'll catch one of the SlimDX guy's eye again.

As said already, I've started making some progress by using Effects rather than trying to produce seperate VertexShader and PixelShader objects, however, ideally, this is what I want to be able to do.

So, is there a reason why the InputLayout ctor is failing with what I assume is a valid ShaderSignature (it is produced from valid bytecode, so it should be, and no exception or errors appear on creation) from a compiled VertexShader?
Bringing this back up for the weekend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement