Sign in to follow this  
ctj

Problems installing DirectX app on to another computer

Please ignore my previous thread, I forgot to put a Subject to it. I am a beginner in programming C++ using DirectX and I have a problem in installing a C++ program with DirectX onto a different computer. I wrote a simple DirectX program to create an empty window. I am using Visual Studio 2010 to create the installation package: 1. I first create a Merge Module Add->Project Output... Select Primary Output Add->Merge Module Reference... Select Microsoft_VC90_ATL_x86.msm Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm Microsoft_VC100_ATL_x86.msm Microsoft_VC100_CRT_x86.msm 2. I create a Setup Deployment Project Add->Project Output... Select MergeModule Open Meerge Module File Installation Properties Select Application Folder as the value of KeyOutput->(MergeModuleProperties)->Module Retargetable Folder Add->File... Select DirectX 9c runtime (obtained from Microsoft DirectX download site) Add->File... Select vcredist_x86 (obtained from Microsoft Visual Studio download site) Right click on the Setup Deployment Project->View->Custom Actions Right click on Install->Add Custom Action... Double click Application Folder and select dxsetup.exe Repeat above and select vcredist_x86.exe Open dxsetup.exe properties and enter /silent on Arguments Repeat the same for vcredist_x86.exe I built the Deployment Projects and it generated the Windows Installer Package for my test program. I install the package on my development machine and my test program runs without error. However, when I install the package on another machine, the test program returns with an error. What other files do I need to include when building? Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks.

Since Visual Studio 2010 isn't actually released yet, there is not VC++ 2010 redistributable on MSDN that you can download. So that "vcredist_x86.exe" you have won't actually install the VC++ 2010 runtime. Plus I [i]think/i] you need to install the VC++ redist before you run the installer, otherwise the installer itself won't be able to run.

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I removed the vcredist_x86 from Install, redeploy and re-install. I got an error when executing the program: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142).

What does that mean?

Thanks.

Please, can anybody give me some suggestions? I am sure there are readers here that have tried creating a game installation package from Visual Studio. Ima really stuck right now.
Thanks.

With a lot of reaching, I finally figured out the solution:
1. In Visual Studio after successfully built your application
2. File->Add->New Project...
3. In the left-hand panel, expand:
Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment->Visual Studio Installer
4. Select on the right-hand panel Merge Module Project
5. Enter a name/location at the bottom of the page, if desired; click OK
6. Right click on the Solution Explorer:
a. Merge Module Project->Add->Project Output...
b. Select Project: <your Application Name>
c. Select Primary Output
d. Click OK
7. Right click again on the Solution Explorer:
a. Merge Module Project->Add->Merge Module Reference...
b. Select Microsoft_*ATL*.msm & Microsoft_*CRT*.msm files
8. Right click again on the Solution Explorer:
a. Merge Module Project->Assembly...
b. Under the .NET tab:
Select all Microsoft.Build* items
c. Click OK
9. On the right-hand panel you would see items select in (8)
a. Remove duplicated items
10. Build your Merge Module Project
11. If build successfully, you can move on to creating your Setup Project
a. File->Add->New Project...
b. Select Setup Project
c. Enter a name/location at the bottom of the page, if desired; click OK
12. Right click on the Solution Explorer:
a. Merge Module Project->Add->Project Output...
b. Select Project: <your Merge Module Name>
c. Click OK
13. On the right-hand panel select Merge Module from <your Merge Module Name>
a. Open properties
b. Expand KeyOutput->(MergeModuleProperties)->Module Retargetable Folder
c. Change the item to Application Folder
14. Build your Setup Project